kid_just_wants_to_fish

Swift River

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hello,

Does anyone fish the swift river in western mass? Could someone explain the regulations because at some times you can keep fish but sometimes you can't? Are there any wild trout in there. I have only caught 2 brook trout and my brother caught a rainbow.

yes there are wild brook trout. above cady lane it is currently artificial only catch and release until January 1st. above route 9 is always catch and release fly fishing only. anything below Cady lane is normal regulations so basically can keep fish and fish live bait year round

1 hour ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

yes there are wild brook trout. above cady lane it is currently artificial only catch and release until January 1st. above route 9 is always catch and release fly fishing only. anything below Cady lane is normal regulations so basically can keep fish and fish live bait year round

All true, the native trout and most all other native fish are forage for the breeders that the F&W release in the catch and release areas.

43 mins ago, Thom T said:

much better rivers to fish with less people.  hardly ever fish the swift just can stand the crowds

Same here and I live less than 2 mi. away..............

Although I go on a float trip with my buds once a year from Rt. 9 to the Bondsville dam...........

8 mins ago, b-ware said:

Same here and I live less than 2 mi. away..............

Although I go on a float trip with my buds once a year from Rt. 9 to the Bondsville dam...........

Burkie on a float trip?

I've never kept a fish from the Swift but if I did I'd never keep a native   brookie. IMO they're just too valuable to kill. They used to be in eastern Mass, now finding a native east of central Ma is almost impossible. I'd hate to see them disappear from central and western Ma.

3 mins ago, Phil K said:

I've never kept a fish from the Swift but if I did I'd never keep a native   brookie. IMO they're just too valuable to kill. They used to be in eastern Mass, now finding a native east of central Ma is almost impossible. I'd hate to see them disappear from central and western Ma.

I wouldn't keep one personally but the native brookies in there are literally everywhere. there are swarms of them everywhere i go there. 

1 min ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I wouldn't keep one personally but the native brookies in there are literally everywhere. there are swarms of them everywhere i go there. 

I know, the river is loaded with them, which is great. But they're very fragile fish. Once they're gone, they're gone. Some of the streams in the Lowell area were rife with native brookies, not anymore.

Thank you for the information. I remember last year I caught 2 or 3 brook trout (or at least I think they were brook trout). I go camping in that area and do lots of fishing for 2 and a half days. I plan to wade the river next year with my brother. 

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

12 mins ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

Thank you for the information. I remember last year I caught 2 or 3 brook trout (or at least I think they were brook trout). I go camping in that area and do lots of fishing for 2 and a half days. I plan to wade the river next year with my brother. 

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

yes that is a brookie and that is a slob of a bass. nice work buddy

1 min ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

yes that is a brookie and that is a slob of a bass. nice work buddy

thank you,

it was hard for me to identify the trout because i am used to having brook trout a lot darker with somewhat orange dots, this one was almost silver

2 mins ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

thank you,

it was hard for me to identify the trout because i am used to having brook trout a lot darker with somewhat orange dots, this one was almost silver

this time of year they should be darker because they are spawning. sometimes in spring and summer they get pretty pale like yours.