bjelley

Best night time lures

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Strippers historically are regarded as being night feeders. I don’t feel you can pick one lure unless you first include the type bait present. 

as always my pick is a large wood swimmer esp during the proper time of year.

what bait is present is not a serious point for me,if it's the right time of year I am going to give them a meal.

HH 

Idk if this makes much of a difference but I’m fishing open sand beaches in NJ so most of the bait is sand eels and spearing and bunker when they come through. I’ve also seen the occasional shad show up.

1 min ago, LIsurf631 said:

Darters, needlefish, bucktails

I’ve heard a lot about darters in rocky conditions. They still work good on sand beach?

so many questions like this can be answered with a simple "it depends...."

BUT, I like the mag darter, SS darter, bomber, white bucktail.

The retrieve is slow. You should always feel the needle during the retrieve. I would start with a floating needle to get used to a slow retrieve. Once my plugs lands I reel fast to bring in slack and cause a little commotion. Then I slow it down, trying to reel as slow as possible but never losing the feel of the needle. Like others say the strike will wake you up. Couldn't tell you how many times I've drifted off looking at stars, then WHACK. I will add pauses and jerks but for the most part a steady slow retrieve.

14 mins ago, BDigital said:

The retrieve is slow. You should always feel the needle during the retrieve. I would start with a floating needle to get used to a slow retrieve. Once my plugs lands I reel fast to bring in slack and cause a little commotion. Then I slow it down, trying to reel as slow as possible but never losing the feel of the needle. Like others say the strike will wake you up. Couldn't tell you how many times I've drifted off looking at stars, then WHACK. I will add pauses and jerks but for the most part a steady slow retrieve.

Good to know thanks

1 hour ago, BDigital said:

The same thing happened to me a couple of times. It dose wake you up fast. Lol

I can't stay up all night anymore. But I do get bouts of insomnia and head out at 1 or 2am. That counts right?

I always liked metal & jigs. Day or night.  

Still do.  Just old habits I guess.   Traditionally for me was Kastmasters and bucktails. But I've branched out into more traditional metals.  Classics if you will. Keeled squids, peanut bunkers, sand eels (my favorite)   either in chromed lead or tin.  

But one other thing that has worked for me up and down the eastern seaboard is LIVE bait, I know your asking lures but don't toss aside the idea. 

One of the most memorable catches was a mutton snapper on a middle key. 

My last night in the keys, my sister cut my vacation short by having a baby 3months early. 

Had 2 beers in my motel fridge and 3 shrimp left.  Motel had a small marina and some beach chairs with built in rod holders as well as TWO cup holders per chair!

Live lined a shrimp. Cracked a beer. Watched the sunset. Life is Good.    Caught a nice mutton snapper.  A small tarpon. Last shrimp. Caught a squid!!  So I hooked the squid and tossed it out. 

Cracked my last beer and was chillin.  Rod doubles over and drag starts peelin!

I fight this fish for quite awhile.  No idea how long.   But I get it close HUGE Mutton snapper.  Im standin on a wall made of bags of concrete. Looks like they just tossed them in the water. I grab the snapper by the gill plate and slide it up on the wall.  I'm reachin for my instant camera, fish flops off the wall and swims away. 

I stood there with my mouth open in shock. PERFECT slime imprint of the fish on the hardened bag of cement. And just as fast as that imprint was there, a wave broke and washed it away.  

That fish left me shaking and studdering.  No one believes me on the size.  No witnesses but me and the sea.