Blackfish Reports 2020-2021

Rate this topic

Mike

On 11/13/2020 at 5:57 PM, aquaholic23 said:

Can't believe I just started fishing for these this season. Only problem is I've snagged 95% of the tog I've caught. Waiting for taps is a snag. Big taps is a snag. Feeling like they're swimming with it? Snag. These fish must hate me for catching their fins and not the mouth. Definitely fishing fast moving water. Would more weight help feel what the fish are doing?  

Happens a lot when you fish a SNAFU rig. When fishing deep i usually end up pulling the thing up like a crane rigging lol. One in the lip, one in the dorsal fin. They don't even fight, cuz they can't haha.

Fishing is very good out of Orient Point. Had to freeze 1/2 bushel of white crabs(they die if out of water unlike greenies), will they work next week or should they be dumped over for chum? Now I need some new fishing friends, my reliable buddies have been taken out with back surgery, double rotator cuff surgery and moved out of state.  

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Slow funny bite Friday afternoon. 2 keepers, bigger 4.25lb. And there was this odd colored one, never seen one like that! Is it just a female? I can't believe every other tog I've ever caught was male.

5fb94304db00f_blondetog.PNG.d96a59aa09032dd09bf0be952c800ab1.PNG

That is one skinny tog. 

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

Fished on Saturday with my dad out of belmar. Tried one of my big fish drops near seagirt reef first thing with good conditions. Got set up and I caught three nice 3-4 lbers on the first 3 crabs down. Thought that it was gonna be a savage bite. Well that was the kiss of death. Fished there another hour and shifted all over the wreck for just one more keeper. Then decided to head to a small drop on axel where I had some fish last week. Wind had died considerably but still had enough to anchor at first. Was able to sit on it for an hour before conditions went to ****, but it was just a pick. Some shorts and had two more keepers with one being a 9.3 lber. Wind dropped out to nothing without any tide to hold us tight. It sucked because they were just starting to bite good. Anyway we messed around for the next hour trying to get back on it but it was useless. Decided to call it at noon with 6 in the box. Sad to say but it sounded that I did better than most guys north of barnegat. Hopefully they start chewing better soon. 

On a side note, the amount of boats out yesterday was insane. I've been out most weekends this year and I have never seen more boats out than yesterday. You could have walked from the north end if axel to the south end jumping from boat to boat without getting your feet wet. Mix of guys togging and trolling for bass. All of the boat wakes were pushing us off the spot too. Can't wait until January when most everyone is hauled out lol.

2 hours ago, Erik W said:

Fished on Saturday with my dad out of belmar. Tried one of my big fish drops near seagirt reef first thing with good conditions. Got set up and I caught three nice 3-4 lbers on the first 3 crabs down. Thought that it was gonna be a savage bite. Well that was the kiss of death. Fished there another hour and shifted all over the wreck for just one more keeper. Then decided to head to a small drop on axel where I had some fish last week. Wind had died considerably but still had enough to anchor at first. Was able to sit on it for an hour before conditions went to ****, but it was just a pick. Some shorts and had two more keepers with one being a 9.3 lber. Wind dropped out to nothing without any tide to hold us tight. It sucked because they were just starting to bite good. Anyway we messed around for the next hour trying to get back on it but it was useless. Decided to call it at noon with 6 in the box. Sad to say but it sounded that I did better than most guys north of barnegat. Hopefully they start chewing better soon. 

On a side note, the amount of boats out yesterday was insane. I've been out most weekends this year and I have never seen more boats out than yesterday. You could have walked from the north end if axel to the south end jumping from boat to boat without getting your feet wet. Mix of guys togging and trolling for bass. All of the boat wakes were pushing us off the spot too. Can't wait until January when most everyone is hauled out lol.

How ya been Erik??? You and dad always put up some good numbers.

On 11/22/2020 at 4:29 PM, gellfex said:

Yeah, kind of is, but another one I caught in the area looked like a freaking football!

Tog comes in different shape and sizes since they live so long. This year I've caught the most biggest fat togs that are shy of 16". Couple that felt like they haven't ate in a while but legal size keeper. 

22 hours ago, Snaps said:

How ya been Erik??? You and dad always put up some good numbers.

Hey Tony, I've been doing good, hanging in there. Thanks. Hope that all is well with you.  

It's been an off year so far, hopefully we get a cold shot and the water temp drops a little to get them chewing a little better. You can tell there are fish on the spots but they aren't too active.

9 hours ago, Erik W said:

Hey Tony, I've been doing good, hanging in there. Thanks. Hope that all is well with you.  

It's been an off year so far, hopefully we get a cold shot and the water temp drops a little to get them chewing a little better. You can tell there are fish on the spots but they aren't too active.

Thanks yes they hit it but don't come back or you get a rattle and then nothing.