Shimano QC on Stradic FL

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

It can't be a water protection washer because

1. it doesn't cover the bearing, just the tiny lip on the body

2. there is 2 of them, which defeats the purpose of a seal

3. there is 2 of them, because it needed to be shimmed by more than one

On 11/5/2020 at 9:09 PM, faithless said:

Shimming the main gear on the 5000 with a .002 shim took all the slop away from the handle. There were no shims on the main gear from the factory.

Saw previous post, question answered.

BE4E16BF-30B6-42AF-AA55-BEECDEF2B126.png

Edited by sistm

20 hours ago, faithless said:

It can't be a water protection washer because

1. it doesn't cover the bearing, just the tiny lip on the body

2. there is 2 of them, which defeats the purpose of a seal

3. there is 2 of them, because it needed to be shimmed by more than one

I stand corrected

26 mins ago, sistm said:

Found shim and added some Z-lube. Much smoother, and it already was smooth!

what size shim and where did you put it between the gear and the bearing or between the bearing and the body with the screws holding them down

I am not sure on the thickness, I had it in my spare parts. It was a little thicker than the two already in there. So I replaced the two with one. It is between the bearing and the cover.

All of my FL’s barely had any grease. And I can honestly say that after adding some Z-lube it makes a difference.

Edited by sistm

3 screws press the bearing and washer against the sideplate.

It possibly exists to allow for a different washer that compressess the seal which is found in some other reels.

Not entirely fresh in my head in terms of the other reels.

So my 4k had a lot of play in it also. It already had two shims in it, so I ordered the shim kit from Shimano. I added the thinnest shim (feels like paper, easy to flex) and I have 0 play now. See picture of kit below.

3D54722E-35FD-4405-9C33-9AB48F6E6DF5.jpeg

On 11/17/2020 at 2:13 AM, sistm said:

So my 4k had a lot of play in it also. It already had two shims in it, so I ordered the shim kit from Shimano. I added the thinnest shim (feels like paper, easy to flex) and I have 0 play now. See picture of kit below.

3D54722E-35FD-4405-9C33-9AB48F6E6DF5.jpeg

I have the same issue with excessive gear engagement lash, considering I fished it for couple of months already and it has taken quite a few scrapes Im SOL with warranty. It has become absolutely aggravating so going to try shimming. Can you clarify - is the correct part number for the thin shim RD19988 or RD20168?

Managed to source the shims and cracked the reel open. No grease on maingear at all, was completely dry and no shim between the maingear and sideplate bearing surface. The only dab of grease was on the pinion gear and it never connected with the maingear.

I had to use two of the shims to eliminate handle stem play and stupid amount of backlash. Greased up the reel with Quantum red grease and it actually feels like a more then 50€ reel now. 

On the positive side what really impressed me that even during nearly 3 months of sea fishing with uncountable times of splashes and full submersion no water had made it inside the reel - no emulsification. Could see salt deposits on the "labyrinth" part of above the AR clutch which I believe is coated with hydrophobic coating. 

Just purchased a Stradic 5000 Fl from a big box and doesn’t feel as good as my buttery smooth 1000. Disclaimer reel came with a cheaper drag knob w/o chrome like I’ve seen on my 1000 Stradic fl, Stradic go, amd vanford 4000. Also, big box left their shop lifting device on the reel which is thick cable and a the tag. SMH. Reel also came lefty ready. I think some shenanigans occurred within the store . But it’s getting returned and I’m gonna service my Stradic Fk. Reel just didn’t feel super smooth. 

Well upon return the reel I noticed the drag knob was like others just couldn’t see it last night. Neverthe less I returned Stradic fl 5000. Heard I can get my first 5000 working new again if I send it in for servicing . I cannot believe I walked out without looking at a 230$ reel. Won’t do that again .