Shimano QC on Stradic FL

Rate this topic

faithless

Just FYI. Don't buy these reels and leave them in a box for a year before you fish them. Take them out and fish them right away to see if there are issues.

I buy these reels 2 at a time in the same size. I can definitely tell the difference between two reels in the same size. One will be nice and tight and the other super sloppy. So you might have to be exchanging a lot of reels to get a good one or shim them your self when possible. Not sure what is up at Shimano these days but these FLs quality control is ******.

I bought 2x1000, 2x2500, 2x5000 at different times. All sets from the same retailer at the same time, but different retailers. Not one set had both good reels. The 5000s being the worst.

1 out of 2 1000 size -  in and out play in handle (returned for exchange still waiting)

1 out of 2 2500 size - no bail spring click, sticky bail, extensive gear play in handle (returned for exchange still waiting)

3 out of 3 5000s extensive handle play ( kept one and I will shim to get rid of play, returned 2)

Pretty disappointed so far, was expecting better from a $200 reel "best under $400 reel". To compare to daiwa BGs in similar sizes, they had 0 in and out play on the handle. They had slightly better gear lash than the bad stradics I have but not great, however they were $80-$100 reels which is acceptable.

The "good" stradics have almost 0 play and are very smooth. They are overall smoother and a better reel than the BG when you get a good one.

Edited by faithless

I've been hearing the same damn thing... It's much more recent though.. 

I must have dm trouble shot about 15 in the last month alone.. Unfortunately playing shim roulette if you don't know what your doing will do more harm than good.. Especially if you don't know shimano reels.. 

Still a spectacular reel... 

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

2 hours ago, faithless said:

Have you noticed reels coming from the factory with no shims at all?

In the few instances I received video....it was only of the gear lash....

Worth a mention..if they are silver shims..sometimes they look like part of the axle and you have to use a razor to get under it to get it to budge.

I don't recall a seeing a no shim shimano spinner....Ever..... now that I think of it.

I swear...I've become the shim shill.....or shim nazi.....Between handle knobs and gear lash.....those stupid little washers can turn a Stella into a turd..a nasci into a twinpower.

Edited by scoobydoo

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

After casting it a few times it was definitely more geary, very slightly but still there. I took the shim out and back to sloppy handle and smoother.

Also I noticed that on the FL they shim between the body and bearing. On the FK they shimmed between the main gear and bearing. When I shimmed the FL I shimmed between the main gear and the bearing. I don't have the proper shims for the new FL which are very narrow. It was shimmed from the factory with 2 x .004 shims between the body and bearing which I didn't see previously.

I think that there is a small lip on the main gear that allows it to ride on the bearing flush. It is possible that putting a shim there like on FK made it not mate properly creating pressure points. These reels are really pissing me off.

Edited by faithless

Perhaps expecting $800 reel performance for $200?

1 hour ago, faithless said:

1. on the FL they shim between the body and bearing.

2. On the FK they shimmed between the main gear and bearing.

3. When I shimmed the FL I shimmed between the main gear and the bearing

Hey? Double check what you are explaining - the quote above (with numbered points) contradicts itself...

When you say YOU shimmed the FL between main gear and bearing are you referring to shims being placed on the RHS of the main gear such that that would increase play/space between pinion and main gear teeth by pushing them apart / increase gear lash?

And I am not inferring you are wrong, just wanting to understand

Edited by ZAFisher

1 hour ago, faithless said:

It's correct what I said, read it again if you have to. Why do you keep editing your responses? Your first one was a winner by the way, should have stayed with that one. Something along the lines of I should stick with smelly garbage reels next time.

I was being daft  - unclear, apologies.

Nah dont do that, you like nice stuff and I'm not comfortable being an ass.

3 hours ago, faithless said:

Also I noticed that on the FL they shim between the body and bearing. On the FK they shimmed between the main gear and bearing. When I shimmed the FL I shimmed between the main gear and the bearing. I don't have the proper shims for the new FL which are very narrow. It was shimmed from the factory with 2 x .004 shims between the body and bearing which I didn't see previously.

FK they shimmed between main gear and bearing

FL they shimmed between body and bearing

You sure about this swapping of shims by the factory?

Edited by ZAFisher

Shims are not historically added on the opposite side. This was something introduced this year for the stradic FL. All other stradics including the CI4/CI4+ shim on the gear side. These are the shims I have. I didn't have the FL style shims. They are different inner diameter to clear the handle shaft. So I simply tried it because it should not make a difference really all you are doing is moving the main gear closer to the pinion.