Jason B

Seaguar Inshore Flouro?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Any of you Albie-heads or Florida guys use Seaguar’s new Inshore Flouro yet? 
I usually use the blue and occasionally the gold but the Inshore is wicked cheap (100yds for ~$20). Need new leader for this weekend and would like some input.

thanks

( let’s not turn this into a Mono’s better thread - yeah, I get it, for stripers you can use a wire leader and they’re still dumb enough to bite)

Edited by Jason B

18 mins ago, bronson said:

following.....

x2 - I never knew this even existed until yesterday, during a stop at our local Cabelas...I meant to ask about it, but it slipped my mind

I saw this advertised awhile ago but could not find any online. When I contacted Seaguar they told me it might be available in a month or so. 

So, I bought some Seaguar Inshore, and did some fishing. By no means is this going to be scientific, conclusive and don’t hold your breath for a video. 

I fished pretty hard for two days on the yak. Pretty much sunrise to sunset. I was fishing backbay with my lighter outfits (2.5K-3K reels on ML-M rods). I was expecting the typical schoolies, but actually had a good backbay day.  

Caught roughly 30-40 fish. Most were the healthy fall 18-24” fat schoolies, but about a quarter 26-30”. There were plenty of times the leader could have broke with the lighter outfits, but it never did. In fact, I just realized I never changed my leader over the two days. (I was sleeping in the truck, so I was too tired to do anything but eat and sleep) 

But look at that jighead in the below picture. It was new when I started. It was dragged over plenty of oysters and mussels. It is torn up but that leader is still smooth as a baby’s butt. Just for HaHa’s, I’m heading down to chase reds this week and I’m going to keep it on. I’m might regret it, but it looks and feels fine, so we’ll see. 

I can’t accurately compare it because I only have Gold (15), Blue (15) Green (20) and  Inshore (20), so take with a grain of salt. You can’t tell from the picture but it feels thicker and appears more visible. Its not as supple as the others as the way more expensive Seaguars, but still ties a smooth knot (double uni, polamar and loop).  

Bottom-line it is tough as hell, more supple and less visible than mono, ties a good knot.  It will be what I am buying for now on for the kind of fishing I do, backbay red, snook, striper fishing where there are plenty of oysters and grass.  

0F88F956-DFA6-479E-9A21-276436379295.jpeg

82F418E6-603A-490B-A1BC-FFD3376CA158.jpeg

Edited by Jason B

8 hours ago, Goldy said:

I had trouble finding this online as well. i was willing to try it.

What makes this so different than the blue?

It’s $17 for hundred yards, opposed to $18 for 25yards For the Blue. They say it’s more abrasion resistant, and from my informal assessment, it is. 

Edited by Jason B

4 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

Does it tie knots like mono?  All my higher test leaders are mono because high test fluoro knots don't hold well for me.

After using it on many trips for the rest of the season, and even will be using it again this coming week for reds down south, I can confidently say it ties knots just fine and it is what I’m using from now on.
As for the mono vs Flouro debate which you are alluding to, I suggest you read one of the six thousands threads written by people with too much time on their hands which are discussed to nauseam. 
For me, if I was fishing for stripers by wizzing a pieces of colorful wood with oversized tridents that doesn’t really look like any natural bait connected to a thick shiny paper clip, then yeah, mono is just fine - hell, a piece of 300# climbing rope would probably work as a leader. But if I’m sight fishing for reds, and I am slowly dragging an imitation that has a buried hook across the nose of a fish who is going to fondle it before eating it, then yeah, I want flouro. 
but the choice is yours 

Edited by Jason B

Thanks for the info.  Really wasn't alluding to anything.  I don't use mono for anything other than the thicker leaders.  I use all fluoro for lighter leaders and I spool it on my UL rods.   So my question pertained to the different characteristics this particular fluoro may have from other fluoros to alleviate knot unraveling.  I absolutely agree that line choice is up to the individual.  No mono vs fluoro allusions here. ;)