DennisJude

Van stall vr series

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, DennisJude said:

Looking for some reviews on the Van Staal VR series.   Anyone have any experiences, good and bad ?  Thanks

We have enough reviews of all things VR to cause a shortage of electrons on the Internet. The top right of your screen (desktop, at least) has a Search bar.

You are going to get a lot of opinions on the VR series. I have two models of this series ( VR50 VR150 ) and I don't have any complaints so far. I have used both for the surf for the past 2-4 years depending on the model. I will say the VR50 is a lot of fun paired on a 7 foot rod for catching smaller bass, blues and a flounder here and there. 

They are good reels they just can be used to fish underwater like a VS or ZB VR will take a lot of dunkings and can stay under for a long time but l wouldn't fish it that way they are a sealed reel but like any other sealed reel no mater whos reel seals will fail overtime service is a most, with the guys l fish with there are 4 VR reels l have one VR175 the other reels VR150 VR125 and one VR50 that this guy beats the hell out of it hes out fishing all the time and still going strong after 2 yrs back bays and inshore some 10 lb fish, some care must be given to any reel for it to last.

No complaints on my end, l do also have VS reel.

The main seal in the VR is the same as in the VS l know l service these reels VS & VR gears are just as big as the VS.

What do you plan to fish for with VR reel?

Thanks LB.   Was looking to use vr50 on light 1/4-1 7'6" rod I use for fluke off the beach and on calm small days and vr150 on 10' Sabre L custom I have.   It's a light rod and was trying to avoid a heavy reel. The reels are DEFINITELY going to get dunked and splashed with sand filled breaking waves

22 hours ago, JerseySurf said:

You are going to get a lot of opinions on the VR series. I have two models of this series ( VR50 VR150 ) and I don't have any complaints so far. I have used both for the surf for the past 2-4 years depending on the model. I will say the VR50 is a lot of fun paired on a 7 foot rod for catching smaller bass, blues and a flounder here and there. 

I too like this dude have had the 50 since original release, and the 150, both early serial numbers. Have had them since they came out, luckily no issues yet. The 50 gets a lot more usage over my 150 tho. 

13 mins ago, ged said:

So far it looks like a winner. I did a tear down review a few weeks ago. 

Pls link me, im very curious about it.

With the upgrade to the Gen 2 VR series, how does it compare to the VSX in terms of being waterproof?

I ask because im contemplating between the VR150 and VSX150.

6 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

Pls link me, im very curious about it.

With the upgrade to the Gen 2 VR series, how does it compare to the VSX in terms of being waterproof?

I ask because im contemplating between the VR150 and VSX150.

The new VR spool is a sealed like the VSX series. The main shaft was changed to be 17-4 stainless and has a pin that the spool sits on instead of sitting on a keyed shaft. 

The drag pressure in the new VR was much higher than the VSX250 my buddy has with the original drag knob. For some reason people are not getting 50% of the advertised drag pressure on the VSX. 

While I think the VSX may be sealed better, you have actually replace the main seal in the VR pinion assembly so I would prefer that model at this time.