Kennyz55

November 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,544 posts in this topic

Excellent conditions this AM. Beautiful clean white water. One of those outings where you think every cast has a very good potential to come tight. Someone forgot to tell the fish that. Skunk for me..saw one flyrodder pull in one rat. 

Edited by adams54

@adams54 I thought the same thing. Thanksgiving week, NE wind, good reports earlier in the week, this morning is going to be money. Zero hits for me in OC and surprised to have stretches of beach to myself in spots that can sometimes get crowded. Those others that I could see didn’t fare any better

Edited by nate01

Fished Moco last night. Entire incoming tide. One tiny little dink that was lucky to be 12 in Long. Ran into to eeeels at the end of the night. We both lamented that there were way more googs than fish. The Bright Light Brigade was out in full force. Going to give it a rest for a couple of days. See what bounces back if anything

Caught a bunch today. Participation levels way down, saw 4 others on the beach, me and another stuck them great at sunup, watched the guy next to me come tight on 5 straight casts / they are there

8 mins ago, suntzu said:

Caught a bunch today. Participation levels way down, saw 4 others on the beach, me and another stuck them great at sunup, watched the guy next to me come tight on 5 straight casts / they are there

What were you throwing with the low tide? 

2 mins ago, BobBass said:

What were you throwing with the low tide? 

Started with 1oz deadly dick finished with 1 1/2 bucktail. If you present things right with the n to s sweep, you will catch. Also have to stay confident, waking to each groin taking a few casts and moving on won’t work. Hsve to stick with a spot. Just watched two guys who I explained things to both catch sone rats and they were pretty clueless about currents and cuts.  They are there. Water is starting to dirty  up

26 mins ago, suntzu said:

Started with 1oz deadly dick finished with 1 1/2 bucktail. If you present things right with the n to s sweep, you will catch. Also have to stay confident, waking to each groin taking a few casts and moving on won’t work. Hsve to stick with a spot. Just watched two guys who I explained things to both catch sone rats and they were pretty clueless about currents and cuts.  They are there. Water is starting to dirty  up

Exactly what I did minus the DD.  There were also 2 flyrodders that knew their stuff. We pretty much stayed put over our 1/4mi stretch of beach. There was nothing where I was. Just the one rat one guy picked up.  Just wasnt my day. Good to know they're around in some areas.

Edited by adams54

25 mins ago, suntzu said:

Can you explain a little? I fished yesterday and the sweep was south to north, or at least I thought that was the case based on where my lure would go on its own. Maybe I'm asking for too much info but when you say "present things right" I kind of just want to know what they means. I'd like to catch more fish. I am guilty of taking a few casts and moving though, I never thought about that. I have gotten better at not being lazy and will walk up and down stopping at anything that looks like a point of interest for a bit, but I usually don't stay long until moving around and maybe that's a problem. I most notably say that because I observed a guy yesterday who wouldn't leave his spot and he was there for awhile before I saw him hook up to what I guess was a shad or a schoolie, but perhaps he knew what he was doing and stayed there for a reason!

10 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Can you explain a little? I fished yesterday and the sweep was south to north, or at least I thought that was the case based on where my lure would go on its own. Maybe I'm asking for too much info but when you say "present things right" I kind of just want to know what they means. I'd like to catch more fish. I am guilty of taking a few casts and moving though, I never thought about that. I have gotten better at not being lazy and will walk up and down stopping at anything that looks like a point of interest for a bit, but I usually don't stay long until moving around and maybe that's a problem. I most notably say that because I observed a guy yesterday who wouldn't leave his spot and he was there for awhile before I saw him hook up to what I guess was a shad or a schoolie, but perhaps he knew what he was doing and stayed there for a reason!

I also choose a bucktail when there’s a sweep like that. I may be wrong in this thinking but the way I feel it out is “something has to move” it’s either going to be my reel handle or it’s going to be the current. I love current. If I can present a nice sweeping bucktail I am 100 percent confident in that-  reeling nice and slow to stay in contact with it. I fish my needles the same way. When there’s no current to move my lure I find another presentation that moves itself like a paddle tail or a sp minnow type lure. That’s just my own experience and I wouldn’t call myself a sharpie. People love darters in current too 

9 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Wind had been out of the SW hence the s to n current overnight switched ne now east so current is running n to s, and building. Most of nj is flat beach defined by sand bars, there are cuts in those bars that water will funnel through. Major forage right now is spearing and sandeels so you want to match that profile. I started with the DD as i needed to cut through the wind at low, land my offering about 20 yards from a cut in the outer bar, and let it tumble and sweep through the cut. As the tide came up and I had more water to work with switched to the BT, knowing where the bars, cuts and bowls are i could hold that BT against the current through the cut and along the inner edge the bar as it spilled into the bowl, current did all the work i just needed to keep contact - bam. Not big fish but there are plenty of them out there. Maybe 1 out if 10 casts would do exactly what i wanted, the  wind variable hurts casting accuracy, variable swell, sometimes a wave catches the line and pulls things of course, there is user error as well; but i was confident that if I could deliver things they way I wanted it put my bait right in front of their face and they want to eat right now

neee to know a beaches soft structure to do this and what happens at different tide stages and wind, also need to really feel what is happening- when you get that BT leveraged against the current and swimming well your hands vibrate from the wobble

Fished 4am - 9am in monmouth county. When I started in the dark I saw a few adult bunker washed up on the shoreline and figured this could get interesting. Ended the day without a bump and did not see anyone else come tight. Like another poster mentioned, water looked great just nothing doing in the stretch I fished.

Similar to others reports, it was disappointing this morning. Couldn't get out until 9:15. Had the incoming tide, hard NE wind, lots of rolling surf, with beautiful white water. There was a time, not to many years ago, that the conversation would have been about the number of bass and when we got tired of catching them, given the conditions out there today. It was pretty much guaranteed that you would be hooking up. The strategy back then was to find the spot where the cows were. 

This morning, I found a couple of spots that should have produced. I had the cut, the sweep and the lures. Nada. Birds were picking small bait. I tried matching it, with no success. It's always possible that the fish were bunched up one cut down or two beaches over. Did the mandatory walk and put time in at certain promising spots. I hope give it another shot either later today or tomorrow. I;m fortunate to live 5 minutes from the beach and to be retired. 

Late report from yesterday. Split sessions. 2 hrs predawn, end of outgoing into the flip, light westerly, clean water. Tons of bait. Pretty crowded and the Armada outside the sandbar. Sand eel blowups all over at daybreak. Few bass caught. Mainly shad under them. Snagging sand eels with our teasers and lures on almost every cast. Several bumps, skunk.

After dark, 2 hours, stayed south again. Middle of incoming, wind shifted, steady N wind, threw the bag. Dropped  a nice one on the black bomber. Saw 1 bass landed and all shad. It was a Skunk Saturday...topped off with RU losing in triple OT. Ugh. 

Edited by DeeMonee