Kennyz55

November 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,379 posts in this topic

From yesterday out back of NoMoCo in the rain, half a dozen school stripers on top water hitting our Phat Phoam Gurglers. Small bait seen, birds working 100 yrs past our best cast but fish did pop up near us from time to time. As the rain slows down a rainbow appears on the shore bonus to the day.

20201101_161511.jpg

20201101_164053_20201101192341145.jpg

Weekend report. Caught striped fish Friday through Sunday. Schoolies, but one took line. Fun times. Fishing before 4:30 am Sunday thanks to the time change I forgot about until i was drinking my first cup of coffee.

32 mins ago, MC55 said:

Saw much of the same as everybody else this morning.  Bunker never got close enough where I was and never saw any getting beaten up.  First time this fall I've seen the gannets diving so have to think there was more then just bunker around.  Did come up with two, one on the teaser and the other on the swimmer.  Water was not as clean as yesterday I guess from the rain.  Might try to give it a look later today.

DSCF3302.JPG

Water was pretty sandy where I was standing in the NMoco wash. 

Standing on the seawall:naughty:, one could clearly see the brown and sand-lines going out further than one would like. I was told that bunker actually like that, being filter feeders...

18 mins ago, hobobob said:

Anybody seeing any of the bigger blues yet?  Not those bunker size cocktails, tackle busters. 

They were all used as fertilizer and shark bait unfortunately.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, MC55 said:

......  First time this fall I've seen the gannets diving so have to think there was more then just bunker around....... 

Curious what else you may think the gannets are diving on?

I have always thought of them diving on larger bait (bunker, herring, mullet, etc) based on the effort involved in the act of diving, swimming and taking flight again.  Hard to believe they are doing all of that for small bait (spearing, rain fish, sand eels, etc).  The one exception may be sand eels when they are pushed to the surface.

Would imagine the birds are burning more calories from the act of the dive than they would be ingesting......that's not natures way.

Edited by Steven

21 mins ago, Steven said:

Curious what else you may think the gannets are diving on?

I have always thought of them diving on larger bait (bunker, herring, mullet, etc) based on the effort involved in the act of diving, swimming and taking flight again.  Hard to believe they are doing all of that for small bait (spearing, rain fish, sand eels, etc).  The one exception may be sand eels when they are pushed to the surface.

Would imagine the birds are burning more calories from the act of the dive than they would be ingesting......that's not natures way.

Just trust the older generation on this. They're diving on other than bunker or herring. Had this awful discussion last year. You can seek out that thread. Trust! Back to reports. Sorry if I'm blunt. 

1 hour ago, Basswiper said:

Got out twice in October(sucks but no crying no excuses). Middle of the month.  1 hickory and 1 striper @29". The bass hit backside of the wave near the lip and crushed a hydro on top. Needed that! Note: there was some spearing and mullet(very few) in the wash and stripers cruising the break but I wasnt seeing schools of bass like the video on here and social media...

Got out yesterday 530a-10a. Beautiful conditions, last of flood start of ebb, although not ideal wind direction by mid morning. Bunker a few long casts out, boats on em, didnt see much going on. Threw the bag at em in some juicy looking 'stuff'...one light bump and had a follower on the pencil...same pencil as Quiks...NADA

20201017_072128.jpg

Great shot.  

Pulled out my foul weather gear for a test.  Moco in the rain from 2 to 7 pm. Skunk but saw a steady pull of dogfish for those tossing bait.  The ugly lobster man hats are quite comfortable, but sooooo ugly!

12 mins ago, AH Perry said:

Just trust the older generation on this. They're diving on other than bunker or herring. Had this awful discussion last year. You can seek out that thread. Trust! Back to reports. Sorry if I'm blunt. 

No not blunt......but not sure why you continue to push your theory that they are diving on non bunker/herring like bait.  I searched and found the thread your referring to (Spotting sandeels tips and tricks. Started by adams54, October 27, 2019).  

Seems like most (if not all) of the people who posted in that thread seemed to disagree with you and agreed that in our local waters gannets generally dive on larger baits and at times big sand eels on the surface.  They surmised gannets diving was not a good "tip or trick" as it related to spotting sand eels in the surf.  Seems very similar to my hypothesis. 

In regards to "just trust the older generation" on this......I've spent more than 40 years in the surf and am still seeking answers from both the young and old.

Thanks.

36 mins ago, Steven said:

No not blunt......but not sure why you continue to push your theory that they are diving on non bunker/herring like bait.  I searched and found the thread your referring to (Spotting sandeels tips and tricks. Started by adams54, October 27, 2019).  

Seems like most (if not all) of the people who posted in that thread seemed to disagree with you and agreed that in our local waters gannets generally dive on larger baits and at times big sand eels on the surface.  They surmised gannets diving was not a good "tip or trick" as it related to spotting sand eels in the surf.  Seems very similar to my hypothesis. 

In regards to "just trust the older generation" on this......I've spent more than 40 years in the surf and am still seeking answers from both the young and old.

Thanks.

If most people had it figured out, a lot more fish would be caught.

2 hours ago, Basswiper said:

Got out twice in October(sucks but no crying no excuses). Middle of the month.  1 hickory and 1 striper @29". The bass hit backside of the wave near the lip and crushed a hydro on top. Needed that! Note: there was some spearing and mullet(very few) in the wash and stripers cruising the break but I wasnt seeing schools of bass like the video on here and social media...

Got out yesterday 530a-10a. Beautiful conditions, last of flood start of ebb, although not ideal wind direction by mid morning. Bunker a few long casts out, boats on em, didnt see much going on. Threw the bag at em in some juicy looking 'stuff'...one light bump and had a follower on the pencil...same pencil as Quiks...NADA

20201017_072128.jpg

That would be hanging on my wall 11x14. Sunset, the plug and not a sand covered fish. Could be a cover picture for OTW.

44 mins ago, Steven said:

Thanks.

2 weekends ago for the first time I witnessed gannetts on sandeels offshore.  The previous 1000 times I've run into gannets they've been feasting on bunker, its been obvious because they're either actively trying to choke bunker down their throats, or needing to puke them up to get airborne again if you get too close in the boat.  I think theyll feed on anything, but theyre almost always on bigger bait, just from my up close and personal experience with them.

Monmouth County, fished from 8 -10:30pm last night missed one nice fish still kicking myself in the head for not checking my drag, second unhooked after 10 seconds,

Nothing this morning besides snagging a bunker with sp minnow, gannets diving like crazy, beautiful whale sighting as well, only my third time fishing this year, came back with a garbage bag full of lines cut on the low tide 20 minutes ago from old pilings. 
couple pics from this morning below.

36877494-E2F6-41F4-851B-22E2DE680333.jpeg

9E21D50D-F455-4D03-BBC6-12ECCF0EB56D.jpeg

D7A926EE-18FE-470B-BFAC-AA2ECAD0EF40.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I must have been lucky and happened on a rare spot where bass (and gannets lol) were crashing bunker this morning, but it was still mostly out of casting range.  Still, great to watch. 

Met a guy who said he was new to fishing, and helped him land a nice bass on the edge of a slippery rock pile since I had my korkers on.  Hopefully he’s on SOL and posts the pics I took (the ones without any background clues, messed up the first couple). 

One of those mornings where I’m just as happy watching as I am catching, beautiful scenery with wildlife everywhere.  But launching a heavy pencil with 35 mph gusts at my back is pretty satisfying too :rav:

Edited by Bluetaildragger