Kennyz55

November 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,379 posts in this topic

Had a shot at the big girls this morning. Spotted big tails splashing while walking the beach, they were beating up on bunker finally on the "right side" of the bar within casting distance. Plucked a few right around keeper size on first couple of casts with a small dink crusher I've been using. Grabbed the biggest, brightest most obnoxious lure I had in the bag to see what else was there and second cast got slammed. Fighting the fish in and finally lost it in the wash. Probably had the drag to tight and shouldn't have tried to horse a bigger fish like that in. Bent my hook like it was hanger lol. Caught some more  of no notable size before the window closed and they were off.

10 minutes later got crushed by a wave that snuck up on me and knocked me on my ass and almost pulled me in. Good reminder from that there are forces greater then myself directing this universe. This ones going to haunt me for awhile.

Saw some more people hooking up and seemed like a better morning today then yesterday. Keep your heads up and be ready :)

20201101_084220.jpg

1 hour ago, Juanma25 said:

Had a shot at the big girls this morning. Spotted big tails splashing while walking the beach, they were beating up on bunker finally on the "right side" of the bar within casting distance. Plucked a few right around keeper size on first couple of casts with a small dink crusher I've been using. Grabbed the biggest, brightest most obnoxious lure I had in the bag to see what else was there and second cast got slammed. Fighting the fish in and finally lost it in the wash. Probably had the drag to tight and shouldn't have tried to horse a bigger fish like that in. Bent my hook like it was hanger lol. Caught some more  of no notable size before the window closed and they were off.

10 minutes later got crushed by a wave that snuck up on me and knocked me on my ass and almost pulled me in. Good reminder from that there are forces greater then myself directing this universe. This ones going to haunt me for awhile.

Saw some more people hooking up and seemed like a better morning today then yesterday. Keep your heads up and be ready :)

20201101_084220.jpg

They apparently make a "heavy duty" version of those shads, haven't checked them out. But the hooks on them are fairly thin gauge and I've had one bent pretty good by a bass about 28"

Juanma25 Ive seen those hooks bend way too many times. All different size fish . If you know there are no blues yo chewcit up throw the hoggy version with its quality hook. A few bucks more but you might of seen and released  that fish today ..

46 mins ago, el_tsunami said:

They apparently make a "heavy duty" version of those shads, haven't checked them out. But the hooks on them are fairly thin gauge and I've had one bent pretty good by a bass about 28"

I don’t think it comes in sizes under 7”. Other than the heavy weighted ones of course. Jig head and shad body is the way to go. 

2 hours ago, Juanma25 said:

20201101_084220.jpg

That hook looks like it's made out of tin. Weak hooks make me cringe. better off getting some jig heads with quality hooks and putting on shad bodies. 

32 mins ago, Qwik said:

Belongs in the October thread but usually wait a few days before posting ...So November it is ...First solid fish for me in a while 41" top water in MoCo... She swam away strong, can only hope she lived.. 

IMG_4309.png

Solid beach fish. Haven't seen one of those in a while from the surf. My kayak fish don't count haha.

1 hour ago, Qwik said:

Belongs in the October thread but usually wait a few days before posting ...So November it is ...First solid fish for me in a while 41" top water in MoCo... She swam away strong, can only hope she lived.. 

IMG_4309.png

Looks like a schoolie

7 mins ago, ridenfish said:

He’s doing better than you are :laugh:

Dont forget youre included in the better than as well!   

We all suck. It was qwiks first fish since may so the gods felt bad for him

Thanks all, yeah I've had the smaller versions bent to hell by blue fish too.

I usually do go the jig head route but only packed 4", 1/2-3/4 oz jigs that these smaller fish seem to love. That was the only thing in my bag I could think of that would give me the distance to get my cast out there, mimic full size bunker and stand out a little. Been slowly going lighter and smaller with each trip.

Appreciate everyone's advice. Nice fish Qwik!

Last night I had an almost unlimited number of 20in and under fish at a spot but the bigger fish I expected to show on the tide change never did. Found huge schools of bunker out front this morning and a jetty from which I could just about reach them. Seems like there aren't any bass on them as none of the boats stuck around for long. There's nothing like standing on the tip of a jetty watching the bunker come only to have a knucklehead in a boat drive over the school.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Went out this evening. Had a good feeling with it being November and after the full moon etc.  Add me to the "i suck" category. No bumps, no fish, lost a nice lure on a snag in the middle of an open beach nowhere near ANY hard structure (wtf?l)  On the way home as if to rub it in the gods wafted in s strong smell of skunk coming through the air vents. And then if that wasnt enough 1/2 mile away from home the money light went on (aka check engine).

Edited by adams54

2 hours ago, adams54 said:

, lost a nice lure on a snag in the middle of an open beach nowhere near ANY hard structure (wtf?l) 

Ditto with me out front this evening. Lost the lure and the teaser to God knows what. Didn't even feel it getting snug, just casted and off it went. Oh well. 

Got a fatty 20+ incher, nowhere close to being a keeper but weighed more than the only keeper I landed so far. The fish are eating well. 

20201101_221222-01.jpeg.a28353f3329f31ca92bb31dcfb465521.jpeg

Bumped into @adoboboy as well. Looked like he knew what he was doing, which is always good to see.

The occasional gusts of wind were wild at around 11pm'ish. But it was a nice night, not crazy cold, not bothersome in any way. The wind was like a rotatory fan, came and went so the off time allowed for some really nice casts. 

Good night and good luck to everyone. Tight lines.