Gotcow?

Acres of bunker and nothing on them.

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

Saw some of the largest schools of (happy) adult bunker I've ever seen out there today and absolutely nothing harassing them.....:soapbox:

Nice to see but just pissed me off as they were well inside of casting range but nothing was on them or under them.

seeing a lot of that the last half dozen years or so.

no gators bothering them nor bass.

I saw a small harbor that had them from one shore to the to the other and they were just flipping around.

a few cormorants chasing them that's it.

sad,,,,,now bunkers are plentiful and the fish are not.

HH 

Perhaps the bass that can feed on adult bunker are fat and happy. Alligator blues, I agree are not around that I have observed. If no bunker, no bass or blues so glad they're around in quantity. Have had good luck in Sept and Oct with bass with an experienced guide. Frankly, if I had a boat, I'd be harvesting and freezing a couple dozen bunker for use through winter and spring. 

I was in a school of them the other night. It took about 45 mins for them to go by. It thinned here and there enough to get a cast or two in. I knew I wasn’t gonna get anything, it was just fun to watch. 

When I was up near Gloucester earlier this summer I stumbled across the same thing in my kayak 

Huge schools of fairly large bunker  packed right as can be

A few small schoolies around, but nothing nearly big enough to bother them  ( or so I thought) 

Until a 35-40 ft humpback whale came up 20 ft from me engulfing what must have been thousands of bunker 

At first I was super bummed to not find fish on them, but glad to see bait around 

As for Connecticut waters, it seems there's been an excess of bait everywhere I've gone  all year, sometimes fish on it sometimes not 

Odd, because I can remember snagging and catching gators all day on thanksgiving in years past.  Last week I had the boat in a school of bunker I couldn’t cast out of in any direction and all that was under them was chubb macks. 

21 hours ago, Good2Go said:

Perhaps the bass that can feed on adult bunker are fat and happy. Alligator blues, I agree are not around that I have observed. If no bunker, no bass or blues so glad they're around in quantity. Have had good luck in Sept and Oct with bass with an experienced guide. Frankly, if I had a boat, I'd be harvesting and freezing a couple dozen bunker for use through winter and spring. 

They don't freeze well, basically mush when you thaw them out

31 mins ago, MakoMike said:

They really don't. 

I had an idea thou. Well, stole an idea!  

I was watching the YouTube. Guy down in Australia. Filets his bait fish, salts it. Then uses it as a slab bait. 

I was thinking.  Filet the bunker, heavy salt brine. Then cryovac & freeze. 

Then grind the head & guts for block chum

Edited by PSegnatelli

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Agree they don't freeze as well as say, squid do, but for chunk or chum they're ok. 

Been incredibly frustrating ALL year with little to nothing on bunker schools.  Like everyone else posted, acres and acres of pods - in close in less than 10' and out deep in over 100' but never anything on them.  That changed for me last week, was on our way to a rock pile and just kept seeing the usual "happy" pods.  Finally saw one that looked very nervous and there were some rushes, looked on the FF and there were very large "humps" deep under the school.  Sent out a livey and let it swim, luckily for me it went deep and got inhaled.  41" and very well fed5fa02d59c8321_bassOct27.JPG.8c0df9526c796de172118c8b5f05726b.JPG

fished for another half hour with more liveys, up high and down low.  Not a single sniff.  Was in 55' water, literally in the middle of the sound