Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I use a double uni knot for braid to leader, any other knots that stronger or as strong and maybe a little quicker to tie?. I really only know the double uni and palomar knot.

I really like the Alberto for braid to mono.  Easy for me to remember. 

I don't think you would need anymore than uni, alberto & palomar.   Maybe dropper loop.  

But I'm a simple fool. 

I like Alberto because it’s strong, quick and easy to do with cold fingers in a precarious place. That said it has that long tag that gets bungled up in the eyelet if you reel up to much, I prefer double Uni if I’m in a position to take the added time/effort.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I cut the tag flush with the knot.  

I stack the curls with my nail as I'm tightening. Then cut both tags right up on it.  

I pull that knot as tight as I can.  If I snap the line. I tie it again and pull a little less:howdy:

Edited by PSegnatelli

There's knots that are faster, and there's knots that are stronger, but I can't think of any off-hand that are both.

20 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

FG takes a minute and it’s super strong 

I agree with the fg and after doing it it becomes easy but I dont think its necessary for most shore fishing applications excluding tarpon and big sharks here on the east coast unless maybe you are taking the knot into your guides. Definitely need the rizzuto finish to make it really good  for big fish tho. It would be great if you are throwing bait with braid and for some reason wanted a mono shockleader . 

Edited by Jim McFeeley

On Alberto how many wraps are you guys doing? I’m 7 up and 7 down, with a 40# leeder it makes for a big tag/knot even when stacked neatly and tight. 

ETA: Using 30# braid

Edited by Johnsmyname
Line weight

7 wraps up and down (14) unless its lighter braid (10-15lb) then I go 8 or 10 wraps. 

I had my 1st knot with 10lb 832 slip while fishing using 7 wraps.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

5 mins ago, Johnsmyname said:

On Alberto how many wraps are you guys doing? I’m 7 up and 7 down, with a 40# leeder it makes for a big tag/knot even when stacked neatly and tight. 

I forgot to quote u above

42 mins ago, Motorcrazy said:

When I do a double uni knot it 6-8 on on 40lb leader and 10- 11 on 30lb braid, it makes a knot, I can feel it going through my guides, am I doing to much?

Are you saying you loop it over that many times? If so I’d say that’s way too many times, 5/7 is what I do.

49 mins ago, Motorcrazy said:

Yes the amount of time you wrap the leader side and the braid side. Are you saying I can get away with less to make a smaller knot.

Yes, 5 wraps is what I do. You can up it to 7 loops with the braid if that makes you more comfortable (braid slips easier), but 11 is too many IMO.