Winch

Blast from the past

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Huge thanks to Winch and Mike for sharing these.  It's a great look into history that many of us would never get to see.  I have similar pics from my father's day in the 60s and 70s with huge fish, but all east coast.  So, it's really neat to see the west coast side of the striper fishery and the native species, too!  

42 mins ago, TedSki said:

Huge thanks to Winch and Mike for sharing these.  It's a great look into history that many of us would never get to see.  I have similar pics from my father's day in the 60s and 70s with huge fish, but all east coast.  So, it's really neat to see the west coast side of the striper fishery and the native species, too!  

Thanks Ted. 
Out here there is a huge gap in those that fished back then and the younger or newer guys that didn’t experience that type of fishing. 
Im hoping guys will see what this fishery was like and with the hope that guys start releasing schoolies with the thought of sowing the field and getting rewarded with the feeling of hooking bigger fish including some true monsters.  
Remembering that those sub 35” fish are the future 40# fish

i need to actually find my older photos and go back into my computer to search for those. 

John and Steve Scott. 
John was part owner in the first Coastside bait and tackle. 
He was still active in the fishing world. If you ever walked into the Rusty Hook he was the old guy playing Cribbage. Note the limit was 3 or 5 when this picture was taken

975AA1D3-5FF9-479E-81D8-8E11E9AB010E.jpeg

Edited by Winch
Added some more info

26 mins ago, Winch said:

Young guns back in the day. Jimmy Zoph and I think Eugene Otenello. 

9CBB293F-630C-4AE8-A77D-4D487C5B71E4.jpeg

is that a salmon? lolol

Yes,  that is a salmon..... can't say for positive but 90% sure it is a King......I did good on them a handful of times typically using metal (Crocodiles, Hopkins or Micky's)  & sometimes on snagged anchovies.  There were days on the Pacifica pier when guys soaking an anchovy below a bobber would flat out clobber the salmon.  I lived 65 miles south & could not always get on the fish....... But Winch & his pals got into them really good on several occasions.   Speaking of Winch (he can correct me if I'm wrong)  but he bought his first Fixter pikie from me with money he had earned on a paper route....

20 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

is that a salmon? lolol

Yes we did have a lot of salmon runs off the beach. Though looking at Jimmy in his wetsuit my guess would have been the big Rock at mussel. 
As for buying my first Fixter’s  Yes all my money for gear came from my paper route.  That or I’d find lures the day after big runs. Guys would be popping off plugs like crazy. 

Edited by Winch