Doc of the Bay

Schoolies

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Near the end. Main bio mass is well past us. There will be a cow for the dedicated or lucky but it’s going to be schoolies, maybe low slot, and unicorn cow end of year. Just my opinion.

Sounds like the Jersey boats are getting cows.

I hate to think of all those big fish hauled up onto the deck of the party boats, posed for hero shots and dropped back over the rail.

Better than killing them outright but still...

Picked up a 33" and 34"er no Wednesday and Thursday. Both on eels so I guess that's cheating :p Will keep trying for a couple of weeks but I suspect it's mostly over too...

1 hour ago, SnS said:

Picked up a 33" and 34"er no Wednesday and Thursday. Both on eels so I guess that's cheating :p Will keep trying for a couple of weeks but I suspect it's mostly over too...

Not cheating. Good for you ! :th::th:

5 hours ago, SnS said:

Good for you!  Not cheating one bit.  Dynamite is cheatin!

6 hours ago, SnS said:

Picked up a 33" and 34"er no Wednesday and Thursday. Both on eels so I guess that's cheating :p 

There's a topwater aficionado I met one morning who asked me how I did overnight. Told him I did pretty well... on eels.

> "Pfft! Of course you did. That's bass crack."

Maybe so... But it ain't cheatin :).

IMO, the only shot of a big bass bite would be if the fish that hung around ME all summer and Fall, that are currently migrating offshore get pushed in with some weather.  Even then it might only be a one night affair as opposed to back in the day when it would go for a minimum of 3. 

There’s always some stragglers. All it takes is one...

Or hope that a few big girls are following an off shore school of sea herring that push in.  Not sure we have seen a good sea herring bite in awhile.

Lots of cows in Jersey right now.

That only means they by passed us.

They either moved out to deeper migration routes during the high wave surges and dirty water along the coast.

Or the lack of sea herring, pogies, mullet along the same south county beaches.

Yes a few cows will be caught, but few and far in between.

Let's not forget ..... the last minute, quick  GBF tuna sightings along the Narragansett shore.

That could happen, but highly unlikely.

5 hours ago, rbart said:

IMO, the only shot of a big bass bite would be if the fish that hung around ME all summer and Fall, that are currently migrating offshore get pushed in with some weather.  Even then it might only be a one night affair as opposed to back in the day when it would go for a minimum of 3. 

There’s always some stragglers. All it takes is one...

Few cows hung around Maine this summer, and the few we had, headed south early in October...

19 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Few cows hung around Maine this summer, and the few we had, headed south early in October...

Wasn’t there a boat bite?