Mike Fixter

"K" frame vs Fuji Low-rider concept guides

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

If you were building a 12'  Century Surf Machine Elite  would you consider using the older style Fuji Concept Low Rider guides or go with the K frames?  If I can find one I'd like to match it up with a Daiwa Basia Surf QD 45.  Thank you.   Mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

I built a 12' SME 2-6 for myself.  It is an amazing rod, like no other I have.  I used the standard RV 30, 16, 10 KW 10M.

IMHO this Guide lay out is well worth the cost.

Charlie

Edited by cjmarti3

I have several 12 Century rods built with Low Riders. Although they do work on shorter rods, I perfer them on rods 12 feet and longer, especially with braid. That first guide tames the line oscilation coming off larger spools quickly. I also have rods with K frames and they work well. I really cant tell much differnce in casting distance but I do see differences in how the line travels through the guides on a cast. But that likely has to due to my layouts and not the guides. Bottom line, Flip a coin. unless you really have a prefrence on one vs the other.  

The lc's are very heavy. I dont see any benefit to using them.  For me it would be the kw or the rv,kw setup. The rv's only come in titanium so they do get a little expensive 

If you're going with a blank as expensive as the SME, money is clearly not a consideration. Titanium torzite or SiC RV guidetrain, no question. NGC doesn't fish as smoothly and LC guides are heavy.

34 mins ago, RedGreen said:

If you're going with a blank as expensive as the SME, money is clearly not a consideration. Titanium torzite or SiC RV guidetrain, no question. NGC doesn't fish as smoothly and LC guides are heavy.

RV is so much smoother.  It sure if it really means anything though. 

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

RV is so much smoother.  It sure if it really means anything though. 

In the cast for sure. Agree don't know if it helps from an objective view but if it's more enjoyable and doesn't hurt anything, that seems worth it to me. As for fishing and making a presentation with NGC vs KR/RV I can't say as I've only fished KR/RV. I'm building a K-guide NGC rod for the purpose of learning the difference though. Also to let me put my RV guides on another rod because those things are a bit pricey compared to an NGC layout with alconites or fazlites.

I use an LC hybrid set up with the first three rings being LCs and the rest KTs. Standard Fuji recommended spacing works fine but is a little noisy, moving the stripper out calms things down mine are out at about 1800 mm on a 14' 8oz blank. Never tried RV rings out of my pay grade but have built NGC with the choke point moved down the blank. Rods up to 3oz I use KL-H and above that LC/hybrid, first three ring positions on an LC setup are just as important as in a KR setup.

11 hours ago, RedGreen said:

In the cast for sure. Agree don't know if it helps from an objective view but if it's more enjoyable and doesn't hurt anything, that seems worth it to me. As for fishing and making a presentation with NGC vs KR/RV I can't say as I've only fished KR/RV. I'm building a K-guide NGC rod for the purpose of learning the difference though. Also to let me put my RV guides on another rod because those things are a bit pricey compared to an NGC layout with alconites or fazlites.

I've built RV/KR, KW, NGC - after building RV/KR I don't see myself building any other way if/when I build again in the future.

14 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I've built RV/KR, KW, NGC - after building RV/KR I don't see myself building any other way if/when I build again in the future.

I anticipate the same, but want to know for myself.

45 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I just completed my first KLH/KR set up on a 7' 10" super light weight. The rod blank and the guides are very impressive.

Next will be a 10' version.   Both blanks are Century Graphene/Texstreme.

Edited by cjmarti3
Add info.

I liked my 1201L with the LC set up, no complaints. Have moved on to KW but can’t say one cast better than the other. Haven’t pulled the trigger on the RV yet.

I did like how the LC got the line closer to the blank with smaller ring size vs KW.

LC hybrid with KT sounds interesting.

LC's being regarded as heavy is a little unfair. Compare a KW30H to an LC20 both in stainless Alconite, there is not much in it.

Thereafter weight-management is up to you. Some of my favourite rods use LC20 to LC16 to KW10 and LC20 to KL16 to KT10.

The geometry of a LC20 is very similar to a RV20 (excluding total length) ie you could swap one out for the other as a stripper guide.

Are all rods best set up with a #20 stripper? Nope.

Now, if I were going to build that blank into a rod for myself...

Its not a cheap blank. Go hard or go home:

RV25 stripper. (No need for anything bigger like RV30 or RV40 which are NOT high frame guides)

RV16 and then you can play the odds if you want to go to SF therafter say a KL12  to KT10 or maybe use a few more DF guides KW10M to KW8 and then SF or stick to DF for the whole rod

Incidentally, IF you were to start with a RV30 it would be followed by  a KW20, the RV30 is similar in height to a KW30L or in fact a MN30, RV40 would be followed by a KW25

Don't though. Vorsprung durch overkill.

Edited by ZAFisher

The rv definitely makes a nicer setup than the kw. Regarding actual performance there won't a significant difference that you will see. If the cost isn't a problem definitely go with the rv's