SnS

How late in the season am I likely to find keeper tog from shore?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I've been doing some research and it seems like people can find decent numbers of blackfish into december in Rhode Island waters, but mostly from kayak or boat as they venture into deeper, warmer water. How late can I expect to encounter them (keepers) from shore (specifically south coast; breachways, watch hill light etc)?

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, SnS said:

I've been doing some research and it seems like people can find decent numbers of blackfish into december in Rhode Island waters, but mostly from kayak or boat as they venture into deeper, warmer water. How late can I expect to encounter them (keepers) from shore (specifically south coast; breachways, watch hill light etc)?

Not south shore but my buddies get keeper togs into the 3rdweek of November every year if you can brave the cold. If you know the holes and what tides/part of the ride that the holes hold fish, you are good to go. I have certain spots that first hour of light it’s all keepers then it shuts down slowly or is all mostly dink’s after. 

Edited by LockedDrag

14 mins ago, DZ said:

Early to mid December in the deep water areas at the mouth of Narragansett Bay.  

I'm not too familiar with the area, but would the rocks at the black point trailhead be considered part of this deeper water, or the rocks at Hazard ave?

20 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Not south shore but my buddies get keeper togs into the 3rdweek of November every year if you can brave the cold. If you know the holes and what tides/part of the ride that the holes hold fish, you are good to go. I have certain spots that first hour of light it’s all keepers then it shuts down slowly or is all mostly dink’s after. 

Funny you mention this instance. Same thing has been happening to me. Anytime an hour after light up all the fish are almost uncatchable (too small). So weird.

17 mins ago, foxfai said:

Funny you mention this instance. Same thing has been happening to me. Anytime an hour after light up all the fish are almost uncatchable (too small). So weird.

Once you learn, you don’t waste time and crab chasing keepers. My uncle did this a lot. Nothing but huge hits and once it became nibbles, he packed up. Always said it was a waste of crab and time. Too much work and time wasting going through shorts. Always ran true to me after that and has definitely opened my eyes. 

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

big fish dominate the night,the little guys know there place in the pecking order 

1 hour ago, big popper said:

big fish dominate the night,the little guys know there place in the pecking order 

I thought they were diurnal feeders?

1 hour ago, SnS said:

I thought they were diurnal feeders?

That’s my understanding; that they’re visual feeders that wake up hungry, which explains why first light can be productive.

Tog has always been a mixed bag of shorts and keepers for me in all the spots I fish, 

But big fish have always seemed to come one after the other 

Last trip I was out on it was a solid pick all day then right when we were looking to pack up my friend got 2 over 22 inches and I lost one of similar size, all within a half hour  as well as quite a few other large keepers 

3 hours ago, big popper said:

Tautog sleep at night. Big or small, they all sleep when it’s dark out.

My general rule is the tog bites will start around 30 minutes before sunrise time and last until 30 minutes past sunset.  

7 hours ago, SnS said:

I'm not too familiar with the area, but would the rocks at the black point trailhead be considered part of this deeper water, or the rocks at Hazard ave?

Think Jamestown or Newport.  

1 hour ago, rwilhelm said:

Think Jamestown or Newport.  

Ahhh...I borrow a car and I regret that's too far. Are there any decent areas between the south coast to around the URI Bay Campus area? Or is the water too shallow along there

13 hours ago, SnS said:

Ahhh...I borrow a car and I regret that's too far. Are there any decent areas between the south coast to around the URI Bay Campus area? Or is the water too shallow along there

I see you only need a few more posts to receive and send pm’s. When you can, shoot me a message. I’ll give some pointers for the spots I fish for south shore.