ianroddie

New shimano saragosa problem

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

51 mins ago, ianroddie said:

I was wondering if the new saragosa had the wobble problem I have heard about in the past with some Saragosas before purchasing for a surf reel

Overall it seems like the new Gosa is performing well...It's near identical to the predecssor....with some improvements.....getting rid of  awful wobble issue, and = reel foot.

 

I was made aware of 1 saragosa swa with a wobble.

And 4 returns with reels having excessive gear lash. (with 1 person about an hour ago reaching out with a pair and 1 being off...and likely returning it)

 

The only common issue seems to be what was mentioned here.

A strange tooling mark under the spool looks like a deburring mark...but it's on the underside of quite a few 6k spools form what I've seen....

 

That's what I've been made aware of since launch.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Overall it seems like the new Gosa is performing well...It's near identical to the predecssor....with some improvements.....getting rid of  awful wobble issue, and = reel foot.

 

I was made aware of 1 saragosa swa with a wobble.

And 4 returns with reels having excessive gear lash. (with 1 person about an hour ago reaching out with a pair and 1 being off...and likely returning it)

 

The only common issue seems to be what was mentioned here.

A strange tooling mark under the spool looks like a deburring mark...but it's on the underside of quite a few 6k spools form what I've seen....

 

That's what I've been made aware of since launch.

 

 

Thank you this helps you would recommend the gosa over other reels for  surf fishing my budget is around 300 a reel so I can’t afford any of the staals

Edited by ianroddie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 mins ago, ianroddie said:

Thank you this helps you would recommend the gosa over other reels for  surf fishing my budget is around 300 a reel so I can’t afford any of the staals

It's sealed better than the Penns.....Slammer and spinfishers are still excellent....I had water intrusion on both and needed new top pinion bearings pretty quickly.

 

One thing I noticed....comparing the 4000-4500 penn to the 6k gosa.....The gosa is noticeably easier to crank under load.

And very refined.

 

I felt the old gosa was the reel to beat at 250-300....I think it's still there...The Slammer and Spinfisher while nice aren't at it's level......Yeah maybe they might out live the gears in the shimano......But 5 years from now you'll probably want the Saragosa SWX that weights 8 ounces less for the same thing.

 

The daiwa BGMQ..........ughhh...I don't think it's worth the price of admission....Monocoque makes it $$$$$$ and monocoque doesn't matter to me. Slap a Forged CNC'ed gear.....a real sideplate bearing seal and shaft seal......Then get back to me.

 

Salt X......I've seen good and bad....First hand and second.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

It's sealed better than the Penns.....Slammer and spinfishers are still excellent....I had water intrusion on both and needed new top pinion bearings pretty quickly.

 

One thing I noticed....comparing the 4000-4500 penn to the 6k gosa.....The gosa is noticeably easier to crank under load.

And very refined.

 

I felt the old gosa was the reel to beat at 250-300....I think it's still there...The Slammer and Spinfisher while nice aren't at it's level......Yeah maybe they might out live the gears in the shimano......But 5 years from now you'll probably want the Saragosa SWX that weights 8 ounces less for the same thing.

 

The daiwa BGMQ..........ughhh...I don't think it's worth the price of admission....Monocoque makes it $$$$$$ and monocoque doesn't matter to me. Slap a Forged CNC'ed gear.....a real sideplate bearing seal and shaft seal......Then get back to me.

 

Salt X......I've seen good and bad....First hand and second.

 

 

Ok thank you I think for the money the gosa is my best option for a surf reel would you agree?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, ianroddie said:

Ok thank you I think for the money the gosa is my best option for a surf reel would you agree?

I think that's a Safe bet....excellent smiles per mile reel so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I think that's a Safe bet....excellent smiles per mile reel so far.

Shimano still makes the Spheros SW right? (Not the inshore but the regular spheros). I think that's also gotta be in the top 5 offshore or surf reels, in terms of best bang for your buck. I wonder if they'll both re-doing the spheros, out of fear it may cannabalize saragosa sales?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yakscientist said:

Shimano still makes the Spheros SW right? (Not the inshore but the regular spheros). I think that's also gotta be in the top 5 offshore or surf reels, in terms of best bang for your buck. I wonder if they'll both re-doing the spheros, out of fear it may cannabalize saragosa sales?

Highly recommend spheros for beginner surf reel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both 5000 and 6000 are pretty similar with a small difference in spool size, line capacity, and a little extra weight in the 6000 because of the spool being bigger.  I use the 5000 size on a 9ft surf rod. Very nice reel for the price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, ianroddie said:

5000 or 6000 for spheros for surf fishing

Both are same body size just a spool difference. I had a 6000 with no issues on 9 or 10fters. Loved that reel. Now I have a 2020 gosa 6000 for same purpose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been surf fishing for 3 years with a Spheros 5k and a 9’ St Croix Mojo, I love the set up but was thinking about upgrading to a 10 ft rod. Thinking about the Saragosa with a TFO.  Anyway, I do think the Spheros reel is great. Never had any issues and I fish it pretty hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TommyMac said:

I have been surf fishing for 3 years with a Spheros 5k and a 9’ St Croix Mojo, I love the set up but was thinking about upgrading to a 10 ft rod. Thinking about the Saragosa with a TFO.  Anyway, I do think the Spheros reel is great. Never had any issues and I fish it pretty hard. 

Does the spheros have a graphite rotor like the gosa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, ianroddie said:

Does the spheros have a graphite rotor like the gosa?

My understanding is that it is the same rotor in both, I cannot say that I’ve seen both of them though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.