nuub

18V batteries

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have about 5 Rigid 18V tools that I have been very happy with, but alas having a new home they are rarely used anymore. Other than storing my 3 batteries off the tools and fully charged are there any tricks for longevity. On the now rare occasion that I use a tool I try to run it down charge it and put it to last in rotation, is this a good plan?

I think it depends on what the battery chemistry is. Are newish and LiPo or older and NiMH or even NiCD? I think LiPo can sit for a very long time without issues.

If Lithium you don't have to run them down, they don't have a memory like NiMH battery's. Plus they will hold a charge for a long, long time.

I am also infrequent user.   Got tired of having to charge NiMH battery every time I picked up a drill and eventually one failed to charge.  Bought knock off Li-ion cheap that fits and works great with DeWalt.  I’m sure you can find them for Rigid.  Charges quickly, holds charge a long time and weighs a few lbs less.   Battery with charger was a small fraction of DeWalt OE replacement battery. 

16 hours ago, JimW said:

I am also infrequent user.   Got tired of having to charge NiMH battery every time I picked up a drill and eventually one failed to charge.  Bought knock off Li-ion cheap that fits and works great with DeWalt.  I’m sure you can find them for Rigid.  Charges quickly, holds charge a long time and weighs a few lbs less.   Battery with charger was a small fraction of DeWalt OE replacement battery. 

They are lithium and work well, I am trying to plan for longevity.

I took notice that if I only drill a couple of holes, not to run it down....that tip alone should get me some life