ThirstyOwl III

Worst Albie season EVER

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

I’ve not seen one Albie this year.  South shore Nassau normally has them buzzing at some point.  

Agreed. FU2020!

5 mins ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

FU2020.

Just wanted to say it. 

Just out of curiosity, where are you located? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

52 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I’ve not seen one Albie this year.  South shore Nassau normally has them buzzing at some point.  

Agreed. FU2020!

Yup, I got into them a couple times on the east end. Didn't even see them pop up once on the western SS.

Edited by C.Robin

11 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Yup, I got into them a couple times on the east end. Didn't even see them pop up once on the western SS.

Me neither

I saw a few fly fishermen who know what they're doing hook some. But as for the usual "run" I didn't see or catch anything. They were around for like 2 days in my usual area from shore. Now I just see randoms getting caught by boat.

Here in New England, I wouldn't say the worst ever...but it was probably the most 'hit or miss' season I've experienced for myself. I caught my share...but endured a lot of skunks between the few good trips I had. Although I increased my numbers over last year, I went so much more often this year that my catch rate dropped.

Does anyone think that the increase in albie popularity has worked towards their numbers being down? I’m skeptical of catch and release albie fishing because, as far as I understand, they lack a swim bladder and pretty much must move at all times to stay alive. Not only that, but their lack of swim bladder would likely prevent dead ones from becoming buoyant after they die and ensure that almost no dead carcasses would float to the top where we could see them. 

1 hour ago, Ftyer said:

Does anyone think that the increase in albie popularity has worked towards their numbers being down? I’m skeptical of catch and release albie fishing because, as far as I understand, they lack a swim bladder and pretty much must move at all times to stay alive. Not only that, but their lack of swim bladder would likely prevent dead ones from becoming buoyant after they die and ensure that almost no dead carcasses would float to the top where we could see them. 

I had no idea.  So theoretically we are killing them off for no good reason...  wow that really stinks.  Have to rethink targeting them at all.  Nobody seems to eat them so recreational fishing catch and release is just cruel

Posted (edited) · Report post

I definitely would NOT blame the recreational fishery.  There are an over abundance of Albies all over the world and they aren’t food. They just didn’t come in in huge schools this year. 

it happens. 2020 sucks. 

Edited by ThirstyOwl III

1 hour ago, Ftyer said:

the bladder don't matter,drop a fresh killed bass overboard it'll sink right away,it's the gases from decomposition that make dead fish float and most get eaten before that...