faithless

Does anyone own the Avid Inshore ML?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Need to replace a ML rod. I am eye balling the VIS70MLF 1/8-1/2 oz. Can anyone tell me if it is slightly underrated per usual St Croix style. Can it cast 1/2-5/8-3/4 range?

Thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have the 7'6" not the 7' and it's quite light. Maxes out at 1/2oz for me. I'd go M if you want to cast 3/4oz.

The ML will probably cast 3/4 but it is definitely underpowered, not ideal for working something that weighs that much.

Edited by Salty Veins

I have a 7' avid and its my favorite rod. Its rated up to 5/8 but I often throw a crodell 1oz pencil popper. I can launch those things. I think you would be able to max out at 3/4oz just fine.

My thumbnail pic is exactly that situation...

2 mins ago, malaka11050 said:

I have a 7' avid and its my favorite rod. Its rated up to 5/8 but I often throw a crodell 1oz pencil popper. I can launch those things. I think you would be able to max out at 3/4oz just fine.

What he said. Great rod. 

12 mins ago, malaka11050 said:

I have the 7MF and it is a great rod. Sensitive tip but great backbone. To me they seem more XF. I hope the MLF is not a noodle and fishes 1/8-1/2oz well as I just ordered it. The MHF was just too stiff for my liking so I decided to go with ML to cover lighter baits. Fingers crossed.

Plan on using this for 1/4-1/2oz shallow fluke and some freshwater double duty. The MF should be good for up to 1oz casting or 2ish jigging.

6 hours ago, faithless said:

I am eye balling the VIS70MLF 1/8-1/2 oz. Can anyone tell me if it is slightly underrated per usual St Croix style. Can it cast 1/2-5/8-3/4 range?

I have this exact rod and it will do 3/4oz but I feel it’s pushing it.... For anything over 5/8oz I step up to the M.

1/4 to 1/2 the ML is GTG IMO...

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, faithless said:

Would you say you can lean into 1/2oz comfortably?

Can cast it comfortably but I felt the tip was a little soft to work some lures the way I wanted. Fun for small unweighted soft plastics, small jumpin minnow etc, everything else I tend to step up to the M.

ML isn't a noodle but it is significantly less powerful than the M (blank diameter is muuch smaller).

Edited by Salty Veins

Agree with above. Have 7’6 and would say 3/4 about as high as I would go before switching over to the med.  great rod though. Had always owned mojo and tidemaster. Pretty sure avid only a few oz lighter but it is noticeable and much better feel. Def recommend.