Angler #1

Has the Fat lady begun to sing

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

or it would seem along many areas where folks had been fishing are now barren. The weather conditions also have taken there toll on those who like to extend the seasons out by following the migrating fish from Mass to Rhody and beyond. Given some fish are still around from sea bass, tog flounder, striped bass and a few blue fish it is apparent that most have put up there rods and reels and are going to wait it out over the winter months. We still have two species that may provide a little excitement during this time period or may be three, smelt, mackerel and cod. However it will take a lot of patience and finding the right places to set up. it may take fishing the whole tide to even see if they are going to be active enough to be caught. In some cases finding bait will become a challenge , but for those who find the fish getting your own bait is part of the challenge. You will have better luck for smelt and cod during the stealth hours and mackerel during the daylight. should you decide to extend your season until Christmas. Since you may be the only one testing the waters, it will take longer to even see if it is going to be productive. I know many here have decided to go hunting and that is also a time long tradition which some find enjoyable. Just keep your eyes out for the ticks and do a body search each time out as well as your dogs if you use them like some do. Peace and Prayers

Ticks haven't been much of an issue this fall.   So far in spite of all the hunting we've done,  I've only found 2 on Charlie. Sandy and I  check him daily. However, like last fall, I have him on a new oral tick repellent, and it seems to be doing the job.  So between that, his Lyme vaccine, and daily inspections I feel comfortable I'm doing all I can.

I did pull one off myself, embedded and engorged, on my leg.  

Put three stripers into the freezer last weekend for winter enjoyment, all caught iin the Canal............

Bob g, you should be using tick repellant until snow flies..................

I caught a keeper sized bluefish from shore about a week ago.  I caught a 39" striper mid-November last year. I know one of the Red Top guys caught a 47 lber in November about 5 years ago.

I'll still be fishing the salt until the end of November.

15 mins ago, b-ware said:

Put three stripers into the freezer last weekend for winter enjoyment, all caught iin the Canal............

Bob g, you should be using tick repellant until snow flies..................

Bernie, I appreciate the advice.  But the reason I only give it to Charlie  during hunting season is, I don't like him being on that repellant year round.   

6 mins ago, albacized said:

She is singing...but it's often a long performance, which includes pockets of good fishing

She's singing In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida,  Freebird, Green Grass & High Tides, The End by The Doors followed by Stairway to Heaven. It's gonna take a while.  :) 

Loads of schoolies from 12-24" mostly in the backwaters and estuary mouths.Slinging poppers and sliders[made from lobster buoy foam] with a 7wt.Some bigger swirls and smashes but all misses so far.Too lazy to rake sandeels and bounce the bottom with the old conventional gear in the bigger surf.I guess a sign of getting old[er].:laugh:

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

I didn't keep a single striper this year.   First time ever.  

Ditto. After this season I may never keep one ever again after seeing how bad the fishery is. 

4 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I caught a keeper sized bluefish from shore about a week ago.  I caught a 39" striper mid-November last year. I know one of the Red Top guys caught a 47 lber in November about 5 years ago.

I'll still be fishing the salt until the end of November.

You actually fish? :howdy:

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

Ticks haven't been much of an issue this fall.   So far in spite of all the hunting we've done,  I've only found 2 on Charlie. Sandy and I  check him daily. However, like last fall, I have him on a new oral tick repellent, and it seems to be doing the job.  So between that, his Lyme vaccine, and daily inspections I feel comfortable I'm doing all I can.

I did pull one off myself, embedded and engorged, on my leg.  

Article earlier this week said that tick borne infections in humans are way down from past years. At first that sounded logical if people have been "locked up" due to C19. Then my wife says with the number of people out of work or working from home, taking walks, hiking, bike riding and otherwise using the outdoors more than usual, she would have expected the infection rates to be even or up. 

The article uses data from Maine so a small sample set but who knows

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/local/morning-report/tickborne-disease-cases-down-this-year/97-09761d60-e6a2-4dd3-8e2b-a11eede2291a