PSegnatelli

Jig heads types & styles

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

What's the reasoning behind the different jigheads out there? 

I understand the placement of the hook eye in the head.  But the variety of shapes is overloading my brain!

Is there a jigheads for dummies or equivalent here?

What is a major factor in a jig head is basically weight, size, type of the hook and the material that is attached to the jig head..

I like to match the size and profile of the soft plastic to the jighead. A round jig head on a flat sided paddle tail Shad just doesn’t look right and some won’t even swim right somethings . Having a choice of hooks are also important 

15 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

What is a major factor in a jig head is basically weight, size, type of the hook and the material that is attached to the jig head..

Ok. So whats the difference between head styles and what material each head style is best suited for?

34 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I understand the placement of the hook eye in the head.  But the variety of shapes is overloading my brain!

If you look and pay attention you will notice hook eye placement (in many commercially made molds) is often mandated by the physical limitations of the hook eye and body cavity. This location can be changed  by machining out the mold and tweaking the shank relocating the hook eye (where you want it to be) which also will change barb placement and strengthens the hook by shortening the exposed shank length. 

12 mins ago, Hairyjig said:

I like to match the size and profile of the soft plastic to the jighead. A round jig head on a flat sided paddle tail Shad just doesn’t look right and some won’t even swim right somethings . Having a choice of hooks are also important 

Ok. So basically.  Flat faced baits work well with jigs that sit flush.   

So why would I choose a shad head over a bullet?   

Pics for reference to make sure I'm using the right names

s-l300.jpg

big_daddy_bullet_head.5bacbcbc21c69.jpg

10 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Ok. So whats the difference between head styles and what material each head style is best suited for?

That is an excellent question.. Basically the head style will dictate the position of the hook when it is being retrieved or while bounce bottom.. The material the head is made of will reflect it density.. An example would be an identical jig head made of lead or tin.. the tin made jig is less dense.. They both displace the same space but the tin jig is lighter.. The heavier the jig head the further you can cast it. Heavier jig heads will sink at a faster rate meaning that you can get to the bottom quicker if you are bottom fishing. Over sixty years of of fishing I tried almost every type of lure or jig head and today and found them all to be productive.. The trick to catching fish is to keep the jig or lure moving.. Fast or slow doesn't matter because eventually something is going to hit you lure.. Wet your line and you are going to catch fish... Have a safe and healthy  day, Sy..

15 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Ok. So basically.  Flat faced baits work well with jigs that sit flush.   

So why would I choose a shad head over a bullet?   

Pics for reference to make sure I'm using the right names

s-l300.jpg

big_daddy_bullet_head.5bacbcbc21c69.jpg

Those top triangular ones I use for shad type baits or wider bodied baits

the bullet head or ball head ones I use for more narrow baits like sluggo/sand eel/grubs 

I just try and make them look nice and proportionate looking.  Some will have short shank hook or longer shank hook for different sized baits.  

51 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Really?  So there is zero difference between a ballhead and a shad or a wobble head?

Not much. I mostly agree with the poster who said the designs are varied to catch fisherman. 

The action of the jig is largely imparted by the fisherman and the trailer with smaller effects due to current and line drag. 

WoW

Different jig heads give different mechanical advantage.

Shad head in pic is a swim jig. you can see the bottom taper will stay up easier and the narrow width cuts threw the water better.

The bullet head also a swim jig with a little more strait drop to it. Having a wider stance will bounce off object better ad a little more resistance threw water.

My favorite banana head lots of water resistance and stait drop to bottom.

If you pick rite head style for the job fishing will be mush easier.

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

Are you referring to just jig heads for soft plastic as in the pictures or are you also getting into bucktails?