dae2fish

Is the Black Hole Challenger Bank 701L a good bucktailing rod?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know a lot of people use Black Hole Challenger Bank 701L for bottom fishing for fluke and tog. But how is this rod for casting 1/2-2 oz bucktails and 5-7 inch soft plastics on 1/2-2 ounce jig heads to stripers and blues? There are a lot of situations that I would want to use the rod for... but one fishing scenario would be party boat fishing for stripers in the bay on one of the Captree Park boats, throwing soft plastics on jigheads. I want to pair this rod to a Certate LT 5000.  I would appreciate any feedback.

Edited by dae2fish

I've been very happy with mine, they make a great rod. I'm primarily using it as my party boat rod and I'm using whatever they're using. Even with 6oz of lead and a hi/lo it did great for bottom fishing although that amount of weight isn't something I'd really try to throw with it.

I've used it for casting a few times too. It does fine, but I own longer rods and usually gravitate towards them when bank fishing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The 701L rod can be excellent choice to cast light bucktail.

I  cast 1 or 1.5 oz bucktail using the rod for snook on boat at night in Florida.

This video shows action of the 7' rod for drum using 1.5 oz bucktail.

Edited by ksong

7 hours ago, ksong said:

The 701L rod can be excellent choice to cast light bucktail.

I  cast 1 or 1.5 oz bucktail using the rod for snook on boat at night in Florida.

This video shows action of the 7' rod for drum using 1.5 oz bucktail.

I found information about the 701L blank weight. But I could not find the weight of the actual rod on Black Hole or JigNpop website... Could you please tell me the scale weight of the rod?