rsilvers

Weather reports always seem wrong here...

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

On Monday - the reports said that Wed would be a better day than Tuesday. Turns out Tuesday was sunny and nice. Today was all rain. So not only can they not preduct two days in advance, but they can't even get it right on the same day.

I went out of Falmouth today to Martha's Vineyard. This morning right before I went out, I checked several marine weather apps. Wind was said to be 7 kts. Waves "calm to 1 ft." I go out, and 4 foot waves and "Gale Warnings" going off on my DSC radio.

The reports being wrong have happened to me many times this month - and it is not always worse than reported. I have seen buoys reporting 5.9 foot waves, but I go out, and it is 1 foot waves. So what is up with the poor reports? Have weathermen been replaced with computers?

Video from today: https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0pJqdOWIuAkvTPs9ZD7XaAmVg

If you are boating on someplace like Vineyard Sound you have to check other factors too. There is a strong current there but how strong is relative to the moon phase. If you go out on a negative tide and it is running against the wind direction you can expect that the sea conditions irregardless of what the weather forecast is will be rough. So you will want to check tide direction relative to the wind direction and the size of the tides in addition to the marine forecast. As for the wind itself friends who boat have the windy application and find it to be very good.

Makes sense about the tide, but I think the apps, being run on powerful computers, should just figure that into their calculation. I assume they do actually.

I use windy.com and windfinder.com for wind forecasts. Between the two, I find their forecasts to be very reliable. However, even 24 hours out, there are enough weather variables that the forecasts can change quickly.

1 hour ago, zak-striper said:

I use windy.com and windfinder.com for wind forecasts. Between the two, I find their forecasts to be very reliable. However, even 24 hours out, there are enough weather variables that the forecasts can change quickly.

Windfinder is great. But yeah. Things can change dramatically in 24 hrs in  southern MA.