Steve_M

Green crabs

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

How do you store green and white crabs. I’ve seen them stored in floating lobster totes but I can’t find any near me in Nj. I did find one on the internet but they wanted $270 for shipping plus $60 for the tote. 

2 hours ago, Steve_M said:

How do you store green and white crabs. I’ve seen them stored in floating lobster totes but I can’t find any near me in Nj. I did find one on the internet but they wanted $270 for shipping plus $60 for the tote. 

How many do you need to hang?

Use a crab trap or similar to what GP100 provided link to.   I use my crab traps as crab holders.   May lose one or two, but they work great.      

For long term use after the reasonable expectation of crab survival.... There’s a thread here on SOL where I pitched the thought of salting them & a member soon tried it. He seemed pleased if I recall correctly (IIRC). 

(not iodized salt. Kosher salt. Crabs die but no rot. Same as bloodworms, dried out but refresh when in SW & looks almost perfect.)

Holding cage is best but if just for a couple days in a bind, drill some holes in a 5g bucket with a lid and put a brick in it and hang it off the dock...  throw in a bunker to keep them busy :-) 

14 hours ago, EricDice said:

For long term use after the reasonable expectation of crab survival.... There’s a thread here on SOL where I pitched the thought of salting them & a member soon tried it. He seemed pleased if I recall correctly (IIRC). 

(not iodized salt. Kosher salt. Crabs die but no rot. Same as bloodworms, dried out but refresh when in SW & looks almost perfect.)

Might have been me.  They worked fine but Issue with salt is harder to freeze.   Next time I’m going To try it without salt and vacuum seal.  

I've straight up froze fresh crabs before and they worked fine after thawed, but like everyone else said any bucket with some holes is fine.

I'm using a minnow bucket with additional holes drilled in the base for circulation. The crabs being smaller, fitting a dozen and a half with no dead loss. Also use a metal dowel which goes thru two drilled holes behind the door to keep out the otters.

1 hour ago, fmtuna said:

Holding cage is best but if just for a couple days in a bind, drill some holes in a 5g bucket with a lid and put a brick in it and hang it off the dock...  throw in a bunker to keep them busy :-) 

Or wire up a lid to a plastic laundry basket from the dollar store?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, squidder 329 said:

Rainy and boring day and I stumbled on this video really interesting.

I saw that video.  

I had a similar reaction on my shins my last two times out.   

I was in the water.  Exact same symptoms.  My shins are all scarred up too. 

I was wondering if it was bacteria or chemical pollutants.   

Maybe jellyfish larvae? 

Edited by PSegnatelli

27 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I saw that video.  

I had a similar reaction on my shins my last two times out.   

I was in the water.  Exact same symptoms.  My shins are all scarred up too. 

I was wondering if it was bacteria or chemical pollutants.   

Maybe jellyfish larvae? 

Well that pretty informative especially since it was on your shins as well. I sure I cut up close to a hundred greenies this year with no issue.