Vandevort

Fathom 12 or 15 for longest cast?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I have a Squall 15 that is my first conventional reel and I like it very much.  I am looking at getting a few new conventional setups.  I am interested in giving one of the new Fathom II's a shot as the 12 and 15 now have the adjustable magnetic cast control as opposed to centrifugal brakes.  If using a 10' or 11' foot rod rated for say, 2 to 6 ounces, and spooled up with 12 or 14 pound mono -- would you expect longer casts out of the Fathom 12 or 15?.    

IMHO, both reels are more than capable of throwing a payload beyond your casting capabilities.

Long distance casting is first and foremost all about casting technique.  Then the rod employed.  The reel and line are last.  Chose wisely.

I have tho old style Fathom12. I love it, but I use braid. I'd probably go with the 15 for mono. Also. you are used to thumbleveling the 15 width spool.

2 mins ago, Stewie said:

..... Also. you are used to thumbleveling the 15 width spool.

A good point and why I'd go for the 12.

43 mins ago, BeachBob said:

A good point and why I'd go for the 12.

I see your point, I go back and forth between a Fathom 12 and a wide spool Squidder 140, it isn't that hard

Thanks for the info guys.  I appreciate it.  I completely understand that technique trumps all and that every component (technique, rod, reel, line, tackle) plays its role.

I am looking to put together a light weight combo that will maximize my distance for the use.  In reality, it looks like the specs are showing only about a 1/4 to 1/3 ounce difference between the two sizes, and I would see a bigger weight reduction going from a Fathom II 15 to a Squall II 15, then going down in size - but, from what I've read, the fathom is a better caster.

I guess my question is, keeping all things constant except the reel size, would you be losing distance going down to a 12 size from a 15.  I am also sure I am overthinking this, as I do most things.

11 mins ago, Stewie said:

I see your point, I go back and forth between a Fathom 12 and a wide spool Squidder 140, it isn't that hard

it is for me if i'm using lures, and why my squidder is relegated to weight 'n' bait.

With everything being equal, I get more distance from my 12’s than my 15’s.  My 12’s are a mix of gen 1 (non magged) and stock magged.  My 15’s are gen 1 non magged.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The new gen 2  12 with the dial mag i would say . Its a little narrower and will get you a little more distance. Its a great casting reel out of the box needs nothing lots of mag ajustment 

Holds enough  .35 for drum fishing. 

Edited by Jim McFeeley

OK your new to thumb burners so I'll screw you up real good.

If your right handed grow your right thumb nail a little longer on the left side and you can use it to touch the left flange if you think your going to overrun.

See I told you I could screw up your mind.

For the most distance do plenty of field casting to determine what combo of magnet/ spool tension works best. Of course you can also tweak the mag control mid flight :laugh:

6 hours ago, Vandevort said:

What is the benefit of touching the flange vs the center? A more subtle touch/slow down?

yes, and not to fluff the line ... if the spool has a shoulder.

I bought a cheap $50 rival 15, just to see if it was junk or a hunk.  Completely pulled off the useless level wind and looked for a centrifugal spool brake - none.  No braking of any kind on the reel, other than the spool bearings (a no-no, at least for me).  With Ande Tournament 16# that reel can caaaast.  First weak trial toss with a Tica UEHA 11' went well over 200 feet with a 4oz sputnik (sans claws).  Kinda impressed.  Also, the internals and drag are, well, looking purty excellent.  Hmm.  Not bad.  Gotta beach it and see how it holds up doing the deed.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/28/2020 at 10:53 PM, Vandevort said:

If using a 10' or 11' foot rod rated for say, 2 to 6 ounces, and spooled up with 12 or 14 pound mono -- would you expect longer casts out of the Fathom 12 or 15?.    

You thinking tossing lures or weight + bait?

For lures I would go for the narrower 12 (slightly lighter spool) and easier to lay line over and over and over again

Edited by ZAFisher