nfnDrum

New Wading Jacket

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

My Cabelas guide series jacket finally died.. I'm looking for a durable, breathable jacket with water tight cuffs, an internal pocket that zips closed would be nice for phone and keys and thats about it. This will be a do everything jacket from a rainy day to surf fishing a Nor'easter I don't need a billion pockets or loops to hang random crap off it. I just need it to take an ass kicking and last.

Any recommendations? 

Edited by nfnDrum

I have a blue Orvis clearwater jacket (6 years + old)  Still like new.....wear it a ton...

I've blown through 3 350$ + bean jackets in the 5 years prior.....

Take a look at the orvis stuff...not sure if it's better or worse....or the same..The new one is grey I think.

18 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I have a blue Orvis clearwater jacket (6 years + old)  Still like new.....wear it a ton...

I've blown through 3 350$ + bean jackets in the 5 years prior.....

Take a look at the orvis stuff...not sure if it's better or worse....or the same..The new one is grey I think.

3 Beans in 5 years, I'm not surprised, these jackets are just not durable ... I decided to take a risk and try something new. A Grundens Buoy X, it checked off all the boxes I had and i found one on sale. Not what i call a wading jacket more of a raincoat but if it keeps me dry and takes an ass kicking ill be happy. I was going to get it in gray, a nice neutral color, but I couldn't help it I've always been a sucker for orange and a rain jacket is an application where I can get away with it. To be honest it looks like my Burton snowboard jacket and i may just see how it performs for that task. Keep an eye out for the surfcasting safety cone that'll be me!

Edited by nfnDrum

I can tell you which one you may want to eliminate from your search....the Freestone Wading Jacket by Simms.  Bought in new late last year, but it got its real test today.  Five hours in 12-15 NE w/ driving rain....I was wet.  Neck not tight enough and even with Velcro closures arms get wet.  $250 fail!    

27 mins ago, MikedNJ said:

I dont know how you could beat the guy Cotten top. Built in hood and pouch. It’s perfect in my opinion 

Those are dry tops, yes very effective in the surf. If its going to be really hairy out I have a drysuit that I got for spring kayak fishing. You just cant beat the convenience of waders and a jacket. Jackets can be worn in warm weather with just a pair of shorts, bare foot, with waders, or a bib and boots. very versatile piece of gear. Ill use it year long just to go to the store in the rain. I have been in Montauk with my dry-suit and didn't care what came at me. The down side getting in and out the thing sucks and no hood, the melon can loose allot of heat. 

Edited by nfnDrum

I have the Simms Bulkley Insulated jacket I bought in 2018 after I got home from Steelhead fishing and decided I needed a new fishing jacket. Used it last year at Erie in sleet/freezing rain and wind and I stayed warm and dry. Even fell in once and came out dry. I also have the Simms Rogue Fleece hoodie but its only water resistant, not water proof. Its good for cool weather and light drizzle or snow. 

On 10/28/2020 at 4:25 PM, nfnDrum said:

My Cabelas guide series jacket finally died.. I'm looking for a durable, breathable jacket with water tight cuffs, an internal pocket that zips closed would be nice for phone and keys and thats about it. This will be a do everything jacket from a rainy day to surf fishing a Nor'easter I don't need a billion pockets or loops to hang random crap off it. I just need it to take an ass kicking and last.

Any recommendations? 

Sounds like we are on the same quest.  Convenience/ease of a jacket combined with "waterproofness" of a dry top (at least for torso and arms/cuffs), right??

I picked up a StormR Aero a couple weeks ago.  GREAT jacket but the wrist cuffs suck.  Shirt sleeves will get wet even in small surf if you reach into the water.  That said, I still really like it and the pros outweigh the cons (wet sleeve).  If this jacket had latex cuffs like my Guy Cotton it would be a home run.  

Aquaskinz Nor' Easter fits the description.  I'm no fashionista, but I hate the bright color of it.  Plus, I'm not sure if AS is still in business or not...I never hear/read anything about them.  That scares me a bit.

14 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

3 Beans in 5 years, I'm not surprised, these jackets are just not durable ... I decided to take a risk and try something new. A Grundens Buoy X, it checked off all the boxes I had and i found one on sale. Not what i call a wading jacket more of a raincoat but if it keeps me dry and takes an ass kicking ill be happy. I was going to get it in gray, a nice neutral color, but I couldn't help it I've always been a sucker for orange and a rain jacket is an application where I can get away with it. To be honest it looks like my Burton snowboard jacket and i may just see how it performs for that task. Keep an eye out for the surfcasting safety cone that'll be me!

I loved em too....only jackets with a spray skirt...like a dry top only zips.   Brilliant design....Doubly nice on the boat when running at speed.

The blue one the shoulder seams split along with the fabric wearing through...

The green one the elbows started thinning on one....and the shoulder seams separated....

If someone incorporated a similar design...I'd be all over it.....But sufice to say I'm about done with beans products.....

They're current lineup of waders looks to be a serious step down from what they offered in the past.