GrahamN

Winter trips ?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Any of you guys head south for fishing after things start to slow down here in the northeast? 

For years I've toyed with the idea of running south to someplace warmer to fish the dead of winter,  for a week or two at least 

Curious if any of you guys do similar things and if so where? 

I know Florida would probably be the safest bet but 

I've got family in texas, could be an easy excuse to get down somewhere warmer and do some fishing 

You have a plethora of options in the southern USA, and Florida and the Gulf states are on paper your best bets due to the warm water. I've fished FL in the winter and in South Carolina, but still stick with cod and blackfish as my preferred winter targets. If you can't travel due to your state having mandatory quarantines etc etc due to the virus, pick a warm day and travel down here to NJ to go blackfishing, or if you want to make a trip of it, go to Delware/Maryland where guys chase trophy tog.

18 hours ago, GrahamN said:

Any of you guys head south for fishing after things start to slow down here in the northeast? 

For years I've toyed with the idea of running south to someplace warmer to fish the dead of winter,  for a week or two at least 

Curious if any of you guys do similar things and if so where? 

I know Florida would probably be the safest bet but 

I've got family in texas, could be an easy excuse to get down somewhere warmer and do some fishing 

why south? lotsa great steelhead opportunities in the grt lks all winter long...

I usually go to Florida for winter break, when we don't have school.

We like to go fishing and look at attractions.

Unfortunately we will not be going this year.

The travel laws are confusing.

59 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I'd love to. 

But if I'm going to the South I'm going all the way to the Keys

Keys are definitely first on the list of places I would love to be going 

50 mins ago, slip n slide said:

why south? lotsa great steelhead opportunities in the grt lks all winter long...

Change of scenery, go someplace warmer for a little while

Steelhead fishing doesn't really tickle my fancy that much either 

Travel?
They’re already talking more COVID shutdowns and issuing warnings that the world won’t be back to normal until 2022.

Just now, valentine said:

Travel?
They’re already talking more COVID shutdowns and issuing warnings that the world won’t be back to normal until 2022.

I'm not talking this year,  possibly next 

Not scared of the flu but financially wouldn't make sense to do it myself this year 

Not going to take huge unnecessary risks but I, don't really think that driving someplace and fishing alone,( especially from a kayak) is all that high risk myself 

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, GrahamN said:

I'm not talking this year,  possibly next 

Not scared of the flu but financially wouldn't make sense to do it myself this year 

Not going to take huge unnecessary risks but I, don't really think that driving someplace and fishing alone,( especially from a kayak) is all that high risk myself 

Sure, I understand the urge to get out and do something.

I’m simply pointing out that the authorities may not permit it.

Remember when the COVID mess started and there were states who had their police officers stopping vehicles with license plates from other “undesirable” states?

Those poor drivers were getting turned around or being ordered to quarantine.

I believe that kind of thing may happen again.

Hope not but I think it’s a possibility.

Edited by valentine

I've gone to Florida, but the one thing that northern fishermen forget is that the wind can be unrelenting during the winter.  You can go down for a week and find that it blows to hard to get out on the water even once.  I had a neighbor who owned a place on Duck Key, and found that some winters he could hardly get out at all.  

You also might not have the fix mix that you want.  Various state/federal closures prohibit grouper harvest for at least part of the winter.  Cool weather will often keep bonefish off the flats, although there will usually be plenty of barracuda. Water quality problems have shut down snook, speckled trout and red drum landings on  the southwest coast, although catch and release is permitted., If you have a good stomach and want to charter a boat, the sailfishing off the south-central east coast can be extremely good--but the roughest days often offer the best fishing. There can also be great fishing out of Key Wes again, you're probably going to get beat up running to and from the fish.

If I was going south during the winter, I'd take a hard loook at Texas and Louisiana.  Wind is a problem there, too, but there are probably more opportunities in relatively protected waters.

Just now, CWitek said:

I've gone to Florida, but the one thing that northern fishermen forget is that the wind can be unrelenting during the winter.  You can go down for a week and find that it blows to hard to get out on the water even once.  I had a neighbor who owned a place on Duck Key, and found that some winters he could hardly get out at all.  

You also might not have the fix mix that you want.  Various state/federal closures prohibit grouper harvest for at least part of the winter.  Cool weather will often keep bonefish off the flats, although there will usually be plenty of barracuda. Water quality problems have shut down snook, speckled trout and red drum landings on  the southwest coast, although catch and release is permitted., If you have a good stomach and want to charter a boat, the sailfishing off the south-central east coast can be extremely good--but the roughest days often offer the best fishing. There can also be great fishing out of Key Wes again, you're probably going to get beat up running to and from the fish.

If I was going south during the winter, I'd take a hard loook at Texas and Louisiana.  Wind is a problem there, too, but there are probably more opportunities in relatively protected waters.

Thanks for the input

Texas is high on the list since I've got a place I can crash down there 

I know the fall run down there is rediculous with bull reds etc but it goes on the same time the fishing heats up here, 

Might sacrifice some time up here to get down there for some of that fall run 

Keys you have the option of the Gulf

and Atlantic, giving you a choice if one side is too rough. I remember once there was a hard wind from the east, at least 5-6'ers on the Atlantic, but the Gulf side was near flat for at least 30 miles out.

15 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Keys you have the option of the Gulf

and Atlantic, giving you a choice if one side is too rough. I remember once there was a hard wind from the east, at least 5-6'ers on the Atlantic, but the Gulf side was near flat for at least 30 miles out.

This! We round the bend into the ocean, if it looks to bumpy we turn west instead. Beautiful down there. 

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

We’re on Duck Key, I can’t 100% confirm the weather! We flew down for 3 days for a sword trip with stanzyck and it was blowing 30 with 4-6’s and nick tried to cancel but we all flew down and said F it let’s fish! Thank god we were in the freeman