Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltheart

Jig Hooks

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

The Do-it molds call for Eagle Claw 413's , 635's (5/0 to 7/0 for both) or Mustad 34184 (8/0). They are all forged hooks with corrosion resistant coatings. Those Mustads seem like they could land a whale. I know you are using different hooks in your jigs Tim. What do you think are the benefits of the hooks you use over the ones mentioned. How much work was it to modify the molds to accept the different hooks.

Saltheart...if you're fishing conventional tackle, braid, and a stiff rod...and fishing in current, don't use anything under a 6/0...and don't use the Eagle Claw long shanked hooks in size 6/0 or under...they are not strong enough. Strength is the deciding factor for the hooks I choose. I use the Mustad 34185's primarily...they are forged, standard length...and if I ever hook that whale, I don't want a bent hook to be the cause of it's loss! crying.gif

It's not difficult to modify them, you'll need a Dremel and a somewhat steady hand. You need to make the recess for the eye of the hook bigger..much bigger in some cases. For standard shanked hooks in a mold desinged for long shanked hooks you also need to cut a place for the hook point to rest when the mold is closed. The long shanked hooks would have thier points resting outside the closed molds...the standard shanks want to rest inside the closed mold...unless you cut them, it won't close! There are some that cannot be modified...those in which you put a standard legth hook and the hook point wants to rest inside the body cavity of the next mold...you obviously cannot cut into the cavity of the next mold.

The Mustad 34184 long shanked hooks are good, as are the Eagle Claw long shanked ones that are heavy duty, the part # escapes me. I like the Mustads. 80% of what I pour personally carries a 34185 6/0...standard length hook. I have many things with a 34185 7/0 in it..only the smallest of jigs carry a 5/0. Anything under 5/0 is suitable only for spinning IMO. As for the MONSTER 8/0's...I've got a few boxes, but as of yet, none of you fine folks have purchased any jigs with them in it. They are BIG, thick, and super strong. I can only see their use with the biggest of tackle, the bigget of fish, in the strongest of currents....mainly, the Ditch!

Good luck fellow metalurgist...keep me posted on your progress...if you want jig hooks, shoot me an e-mail, I just set up an account yesterday with one of the biggest tackle wholesalers in the country.

TimS

Not to cause a fight but people here seem to be Conservationists. Mustad makes stuff for longliners. I know "every other company" does too but Mustad are the only people that I have proof about. There is a thing on their website. As soon as I can find the URL for it, I will post.

JJ, if you know all hook manufacturer's make them for commercials as well but have no proof, what's the difference? I'm all for being anti-commercial, but to not use the best hooks for a job is counter-productive. If you really looked at the commercial fishing industry, you'd see that they use cars, trucks, boats, motors, bait, hooks, line, etc..would you not by a Ford because some subdivision makes motors used in commercial boats? Would you not use Berkley line if you found thier mono was the preferred leader for long liners?

If Mustad were dumping millions of tons of pollutants into the ocean, then I would stop using their hooks..not buying jig hooks from them is not going to cause them to stop selling to commercials...not even if their entire jig hook line had to be discontinued. GE polluted the entire Hudson River system, any chance you or your family uses or recommends any GE products? wink.gif

TimS

I'm with you Tim. 8/0 for the ditch!! smile.gif The 5/0 's are for the 1 OZ or less jigs. Another interesting thing I've run into is the set up for the skin jigs I'm attempting to make molds for. Some of them obviously use a bent clip for the eye to tie to but use a straight shank hook that connects to the clip. I would be suspect of the integrity of the set up except that many of my commercial fishing friends make all their jigs that way for jigging for big stuff off boats. What do you think of the clip to straight shank hook setup? Also while your working the old brain , what about using a rivet over a wire piece to anchor the wire in the jig but with the hook trailing about 2 to 3 inches behind? The hook is attached by using a bend in the wire plus another rivet filled with lead or solder. Its a usefull way to put 2 hooks in a jig too. One with the hook molded in as usual and one for second hook a few inches behind. Like the second hook at the tail of a rigged eel. You got any tricks for attaching a second trailing hook to a jig?

Actually, the circle hook was developed by the big Japanese hook companies (Gamakatsu, Daiichi, Owner, etc) specifically for the long-line industry. Mustad was a late-comer to the circle concept. It's only the last couple of years that recreational guys have discovered the effectiveness of the circle hook, long-liners have used them for quite a while. If you boycott companies that supply gear to the commercial fishing industry, better take up another hobby. You'll look long and hard for mono line, foul weather gear, and other things we take for granted as well as hooks.

While you're at it, why not boycott all store-bought bait and either fish strictly lures or net/trap/snag your own bait? Because when the quality of the commercial catch falls under table standards with stuff like squid, mackerel, clams, etc. much of it gets sold to bait companies. From where it finds its way, eventually, to the bait freezer or live-well of your favorite shop.

Saltheart, the "bent clip" if it's what I'm thinking about, is the eye used in making sinkers. Is it brass? They are an important tool for molding lures...they are strong, won't rust, and when embedded in the lead/tin are strong. As for the wire, I would go with chain, like plumbers chain...it will handle twisting better than wire. To date, I've not made a jig with two hooks. Remember, bass shoot for the head, especially on a slippery critter like an eel! eek.gif Yes, I rig my rigged ones with a tail hook...a safety net if you will. BTW, I'm just realizing that I lied to you, I have made jigs with two hooks...secret weapon. To attach the second hook, I just tied 80# spectra to the eye of the jig and wrapped it also to the hook shank with thread and Zap-A-Gap....the glass is flexible yet super strong...and doubled!

TimS