CLFish5

How to sharpen a filet knife?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

How do I sharpen my 9” dexter filet knife?

Its dull as hell and no longer cutting properly.

anything I can buy that’s reasonably priced that can easily get the job done? I have no clue what I’m doing here...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Consistency in your angle is the key.   

As far as tools go. I like DMT. But until you can do the same angle with every stroke, use a tool with a guide.  

Spyderco Sharpmaker is a great tool.  Around $75. But will last.  

On the low $$ end I keep a Smiths pull thru(Pocket Pal) in my bag. Not perfect, but fool proof. And has a hook sharpner. 

I'm not a fan of power tools, too much can go wrong 10x faster than with no power. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

1 min ago, PSegnatelli said:

Consistency in your angle is the key.   

As far as tools go. I like DMT. But until you can do the same angle with every stroke, use a tool with a guide.  

Spyderco Sharpmaker is a great tool. 

I'm not a fan of power tools, too much can go wrong 10x faster than with no power. 

Thanks. I know I’m cutting at the wrong angle which is prob making it duller quicker (especially with the triggers)

but do I really need to spend $80? I was under the impression all I needed was a stone lol. 

You gorgeous piece of man candy....

Harbor Freight $3 sharpener gets the job done, I have used it for years.

Fine if everyone here starts to bash it, its fool proof, small enough to fit in your junk draw, safe to use and it plumb works.

Go get sum!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Use a stone. I like wet stones for those knives

Angke should be what you get with 5 quarters stacked.  Most people use way too fine an angle.  You want almost a chisel edge

Touch it up a lot.  Use a steel to finish 

When you touch a fingernail it should dig not slide

Edited by Captain Ahab

True. All u need is a stone. But what good is it if you cant use it?

I edited my post with a cheap option.  Poopooed by knife aficionados, but works.  

When I 1st started in the meat trade an old timer explained his method of sharpening. We rarely used stones. Too much time. Time is money.    We had a smooth steel and a diamond steel. 

1st. Never let it get dull. Knife is your life.   

2nd. Consistency is key.  Whatever your favorite angle is. 

I use approximately 22degrees. And here's why.  

Take a piece of paper.  90degree angle on the edges.  Fold that angle in half. Now it's a 45. Fold it again and it's 22.5.   Now, hold your steel straight up & make a 90degree angle with your blade, cut that in half to 45, now again in half to 22.   

Easy peasy. 

Get a wet stone. Watch a video. Sharpen often. When working in the garage or workshop, if I come across a stone I’ll sharpen my knife. 

Knife sharpening by hand is one of those things which requires  a fair amount of practice and skill to do it properly.

I never manage to get my edge “shaving sharp” but I do pretty well with a simple bench stone or a diamond stone.

The best advice I can give you is to spend time watching YouTube knife sharpening videos.

There are lots of them and you’ll be able to see different techniques and opinions.

It’s really all about developing muscle memory in your own hands which allows you to repeat the Stokes you’ll be taking across the stone with your blade.

When you do it enough, you’ll develop a feel for it and you’ll have confidence in your ability to get the edge back reliably.

Like I said, the edge I can put in a knife isn’t shaving sharp but it’s still extremely sharp and will cleanly slice anything I need to cut.

I sometime will use 1000 grit emery cloth to sharpen my fishing knives.. The 2 by 8 inch strips  glued on to a scrap piece of wood.. That stays in my tackle bag to touch up my knife.. 

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

Use a stone. I like wet stones for those knives

Angke should be what you get with 5 quarters stacked.  Most people use way too fine an angle.  You want almost a chisel edge

Touch it up a lot.  Use a steel to finish 

When you touch a fingernail it should dig not slide

I use wet stones too but once it’s sharpened all you need to do is hone it.

You guys are nuts...

It's a cheap carbon Dexter...

Just get a Pull through and be done with it.

Shaving sharp in a few passes.....touch it up between fish....between sides of fish...even after each loin.... 

Buy two ..one for home one for on the water....

You'll probably like the knife better as it grinds down the height of the blade...

Wet stones....for a dexter....

I wouldn't waste a good wetstone on a dexter :)

Higher end kitchen knives...Work sharp or a stone....and steel.

12 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

You guys are nuts...

It's a cheap carbon Dexter...

Just get a Pull through and be done with it.

Shaving sharp in a few passes.....touch it up between fish....between sides of fish...even after each loin.... 

Buy two ..one for home one for on the water....

You'll probably like the knife better as it grinds down the height of the blade...

Wet stones....for a dexter....

I wouldn't waste a good wetstone on a dexter :)

Higher end kitchen knives...Work sharp or a stone....and steel.

If u saw the rentals I had to use, a Dexter would be like Excalibur.  But I'm not gonna bash anyone for using lesser gear, nor will I bash anyone for using higher end stuff that doesn't do much more besides bling. 

And looking thru some of the pics posted here (stomach contents thread for example) some folks need help with tool sharpening and fileting technique

I don't care what brand or steel one uses. But a dull knife is dangerous both short term and long term.  

Short term. Usual cuts and what not.  Long term.  Strain and overworked arms & shoulders leading to surgery.  

20years of cuttin meat, never had a shoulder issue(sharp knives FTW).  Torn mine fallin off a wall.  Go figure. 

I had the worst sharpening skills ever until I gave up and bought a Work Sharp Ken Onion sharpener. Best machine ever. Revived so many knives, buck tails, broadheads, everything.