Which 19-21ft boat has highest gunwhales?

Rate this topic

dmac95

On 10/28/2020 at 1:39 PM, dmac95 said:

any good boat shows around the NY -NJ - CT area? im in NY, wouldn't mind checking out a boat so as long as it's not an "online-event" due to this virus ploy.

The Atlantic City boat show is good. 

The NY Javits center show just flat out sucks. 

I upgraded from a 18ft SeaPro to a 2003 21ft Sea Hunt Triton 212 this season for the same reasons you stated. I can highly recommend the Seahunt. It's very similar to the Grady White Escapes, but much more reasonbly priced. Gunwales are very deep. I'm over 6FT and they are over waste high from mid boat up to the bow. I have no doubt higher gunwales add safety to the boat when fishing in any seas over 3ft. I've had this boat in 4-6ft out of NJ with no issue. Boat does bang in a head sea, adding trim tabs this off season. Any questons regarding the Sea Hunt ask away. 

On 10/28/2020 at 11:35 AM, makorider said:

IMO, it absolutely does not matter.

Whether it was my 14 ft MFG as a little kid, or my 17 mako as a bigger kid....gunwhale height is irrelevant to seaworthiness, except for maybe how relatively wet you get.  I took both boats, on many many different occasions with young brass balls, into conditions they should not have ever been in.  Most boats will take much more than the operator or his/her head can

As the saying goes, its the Indian, not the arrow

I have to disagree. If you are drifting/fishing in any kind of swell, you can lean against the high gunwales and balance yourself easily.  Also, if a swell throws you off balance you are not falling out of a boat witt high gunwales. If you're in a bay boat with knee high gunwales, you cannot fish standing up safely in any kind of swell over 3ft. 

16 mins ago, mets9131 said:

I have to disagree. If you are drifting/fishing in any kind of swell, you can lean against the high gunwales and balance yourself easily.  Also, if a swell throws you off balance you are not falling out of a boat witt high gunwales. If you're in a bay boat with knee high gunwales, you cannot fish standing up safely in any kind of swell over 3ft. 

hence my preference for them

20 mins ago, mets9131 said:

Maybe on a long side of the range he asked about.  I don't think you're going to get that with any 19.

But, maybe there is a model out now that has'm and I'm wrong.

Edited by makorider

7 mins ago, makorider said:

Maybe on a long side of the range he asked about.  I don't think you're going to get that with any 19.

But, maybe there is a model out now that has'm and I'm wrong.

Yeah, you're probably right. My buddy has a 19ft May Craft that has pretty high gunwales. They're cheap no frills boats. I've been out in it a few times, boat isn't bad for the price. I know he's ran that boat from SRI up to the Raritan Bay in the spring no problem. Bry's sells them brand new in Neptune. 

I also have a 21'   2003 Sea Hunt  model 210  ……   dollar for dollar    I d match it up pretty much with any thing in its size .

Narragansett bay & BI sound can test you rig

The new ones  are   a lot slicker & more plush   but so is the cost

if I had to do it over again , because of age & body factors  I would have gotten

the cutty .but who knew 17 years ago ><>

BOAT - SNOW 003.JPG

boat 001 (2).JPG

clouds 014.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

Tug boat.....

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

3 hours ago, clammer said:

I also have a 21'   2003 Sea Hunt  model 210  ……   dollar for dollar    I d match it up pretty much with any thing in its size .

Narragansett bay & BI sound can test you rig

The new ones  are   a lot slicker & more plush   but so is the cost

if I had to do it over again , because of age & body factors  I would have gotten

the cutty .but who knew 17 years ago ><>

IMG_2139.JPG

Beauty! I also want to add a trolling motor to mine eventually. Where did you put the battery bank? I was thinking one of the fish boxes in the bow. I have the high bow rail so I’ll have to cut it. Wish mine came with that low bow rail you have.