Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 28 - Nov. 3

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. The sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the third year with this kind of approach. Last year was great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or is it not worth fishing at all.

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel source we have today at our disposal. 

Looks like more rain and higher winds coming the next three days, plus the clocks move back an hour Sunday.

Haven't been out since the weekend, but did get some intel that a few bonito are still blowing around out there...but the funny fish thing is getting increasingly hit or miss, with the emphasis on the latter

Got out on last nights high/ outgoing tide. Right at sunset there was a lot of surface action of rats with maybe a schoolie sized fish mixed in. They were hitting pretty much anything thrown at them.

Once the sun set and the tide switched I moved over to some structure. In all between my buddy and I we probably landed ~25-30 fish. Almost all in the low range of slot fish with a few larger mixed in. Was a real fun night. 

Got skunked last Friday, sure hate to end the season that way. However I draw the line at driving down there in snow which is what is forcast here for Thursday night into Friday.

I may have to be satisfied with enjoying the reports here for what's left of the season.

Hate when they set the clocks back.   Now have to get up earlier for first light.   32 degrees at first light on Saturday.    That is a cold start.   

23 mins ago, notime said:

Hate when they set the clocks back.   Now have to get up earlier for first light.   32 degrees at first light on Saturday.    That is a cold start.   

Esp with a whipping NE wind

46 mins ago, Milky said:

Got skunked last Friday, sure hate to end the season that way. However I draw the line at driving down there in snow which is what is forcast here for Thursday night into Friday.

I may have to be satisfied with enjoying the reports here for what's left of the season.

M ... have to go to the Cape Tuesday for some work on my house there ... hope to get in a little bit of fishing in and hopefully make up for that skunk of ours last Friday. Maybe we can get out again next week ...

16 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

M ... have to go to the Cape Tuesday for some work on my house there ... hope to get in a little bit of fishing in and hopefully make up for that skunk of ours last Friday. Maybe we can get out again next week ...

I could be tempted if weather and waves cooperate. It would be nice to finish on a successful trip.

5 hours ago, notime said:

32 degrees at first light on Saturday.  That is a cold start.   

Yah. My go/no-go in late fall (and for holdovers during winter) is generally when ice starts forming on the guides and line. I've no interest in dolloping Vaseline all over my rod, reel, and line just to hold off ice.

Even though 32 isn't cold enough to ice the rod, ima prob take a pass on Saturday. And also Monday, when another Arctic blast swings through, with near record cold. Temps look to moderate and rebound by mid-week.

savetweetvid_Ela2yRnXYAAM7hl.gif.1da5bbf7f3bffea5b3bc5a60bc8a58c1.gif

Much prefer fishing nights in the low 40s vs the low 30s. 

Must be the bad weather and people trying to get a last ditch effort in but there are already 6 guys heading out at the spot I’ve been fishing. 

Maybe I’ve burned the super popular spot that is obvious that I’ve been reporting on lately lol. 

4 hours ago, rst3 said:

Yah. My go/no-go in late fall (and for holdovers during winter) is generally when ice starts forming on the guides and line. I've no interest in dolloping Vaseline all over my rod, reel, and line just to hold off ice.

Even though 32 isn't cold enough to ice the rod, ima prob take a pass on Saturday. And also Monday, when another Arctic blast swings through, with near record cold. Temps look to moderate and rebound by mid-week.

Interesting some are mentioning the cold temp. I was eyeballing the weather with the cold front passing through before switching around SAT AM to Noon time. Planning to hit a spot that I have been having luck. Without the wind it wouldn't be that bad. 

4 hours ago, rst3 said:

It's funny because I love ice fishing and never complain about the cold, but surf casting in the cold is very uncomfortable. 

13 mins ago, Milky said:

It's funny because I love ice fishing and never complain about the cold, but surf casting in the cold is very uncomfortable. 

Yeah, I'm a terrible ice fisherman but feel the same. Remember one day in Maine after pike a few years back, during a long Arctic outbreak. Was -20 at dawn, then warmed up to 10 or 12 by afternoon and I was hot! Yet I've fished for holdovers with temps in the teens and was pretty freaking cold and miserable. Worse, fighting ice buildup on spinning outfits sucks so I don't bother anymore.