Raak

Vibrating fishing lures! Any experience or thoughts?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone here has any experiences using electric/digital lures that vibrate in the water? I did some experiments in my backyard pond and noticed some reactions from my koi and goldfish, wondering if it would work out there. 

I did a Google search and found many companies that make digital lures that emit light, etc but ones that cause a vibration must be different, couldn't find many. 

Theory? Fish would react to sensations in the water. Their skins are sensitive and streamlined in a way that they notice vibrations (including those caused by sounds) and smell more than any other sense. That's one reason why there are so many lures that have blades and rattles to create such vibrations. 

Curious to know what you have to say about these. If you have used any and found those productive, please share which ones.

Let me share something more on the personal and spiritual side. Just so you get a little more understanding of what I am thinking. We all have a conscious mind (the one that thinks) and the subconscious, the one that controls our body operations like heartbeats, breathing (when we are not consciously breathing) and other activities including tossing and turning at night when you hit an uncomfortable spot. The subconscious mind is very in-sync with the body. When something pleasant happens, it causes sensation in the body, which is the only way, our conscious mind understands it. Pain is a good example of sensations caused by the subconscious level. If you observe pain carefully, you will realize it's nature is of a flame. It starts, increases, and dies. The cycle keeps going on, creates sensation, vibrates, and then dies off. When you are happy, sensations are created. The difference in these sensations is that the unpleasant ones are slow and last longer, so they are bothersome to us, pain for example, whereas the happy sensations are very short and very fast, causing a pleasant sensation. A good example of both is one of those massage chairs that you must have seen which has knead and vibrate feature. Notice how the vibrations are shorter where as kneads are long. Same thing.

Now how does it relate to fishing? It probably does, probably doesn't but my theory is that just like the massage chair variations, there must be some kind of sensations (vibrations) that attract fish, whereas some that scare them away. Are you familiar with any such study or any data that specifies different variations of vibrations and their affect on fish behavior? Sorry if it got too technical, but if I don't ask, I would never know.

Edited by Raak

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dang  man you are so smart, I don’t even think of stuff like this. I don’t even think I could write this much on a theory lol. 
Fish feel vibrations with their lateral line, mostly changes in water pressure caused by disturbances in the water. I have no experience with vibrating lures, other than inline spinners (more of a beating than a vibration) for trout fishing, and I have confidence using them in murky and low light conditions.  

Edited by BobBass

I bought a bunch of pager vibrator motors to experiment with making a topwater fishing lure.  (think bee or moth stuck on the surface - maybe even small mouse).  Run on hearing aid batteries.  

Never got around to putting them together.

9 mins ago, bugsbenny said:

my girlfriend loves em, i just got to remember to take those dam hooks off

Lol

45 mins ago, BillHoo said:

I bought a bunch of pager vibrator motors to experiment with making a topwater fishing lure.  (think bee or moth stuck on the surface - maybe even small mouse).  Run on hearing aid batteries.  

Never got around to putting them together.

I am experimenting ... Made one but need to test. 

49 mins ago, cartopper said:

I think the sensation of catching your first keeper is creating a neurosis :laugh:

Not really honestly started this experiment a few days ago. Catching the keeper definitely added to the excitement. 

54 mins ago, BobBass said:

Dang  man you are so smart, I don’t even think of stuff like this. I don’t even think I could write this much on a theory lol. 
Fish feel vibrations with their lateral line, mostly changes in water pressure caused by disturbances in the water. I have no experience with vibrating lures, other than inline spinners (more of a beating than a vibration) for trout fishing, and I have confidence using them in murky and low light conditions.  

So that's exactly where the thought process began. They sense vibrations from their lateral line, so if a particular vibration can get them curious enough, we should be able to get some action. Maybe something that annoys them enough to attack. 

I mean there's baits that rattle so there's something to it I reckon. Some of the gimmick baits out there just cost too much but then again dudes pay $50 for a scabelly although I haven't heard of anyone using them currently.

6 hours ago, adams54 said:

Some soft plastic baits are ribbed with the concept of creating pulses as it travels through the water. This thread is way too kinky.

lol sure is ... 

So I tested the first one I made in my pond again, and this time got different reaction. Unlike fish swarming towards it, they were moving away. I think the reason being I had it in a ziplock folded and taped up with electric tape to keep it waterproof. I will play with some different sounds like rattles, and presentations and see if I can find something that makes the fish come check it out more eagerly.

My guess would be that the vibration from an electro/mechanical device would be uniform and lack the randomness that could be interpreted as a living/dying vulnerable thing thrashing around. Rattles, on the other hand, are random and controllable by retrieve style.

A trolling motor might emit a vibration, but when was the last time you saw a fish attack one looking for a meal?

12 mins ago, davef said:

My guess would be that the vibration from an electro/mechanical device would be uniform and lack the randomness that could be interpreted as a living/dying vulnerable thing thrashing around. Rattles, on the other hand, are random and controllable by retrieve style.

A trolling motor might emit a vibration, but when was the last time you saw a fish attack one looking for a meal?

Rattlesnakes stay away from things that are bigger than them, they can tell size with their tongue . Would think the same for LMB and trolling motors,no?

I think that the vibration could definitely attract attention.

Yet by adding a chamber within the bait to hold ground up chum and utilizing the vibration to slowly

release the chum through small holes you could up your odds of a strike by at least 10x. :howdy: