Sporto10003

Waders
Waders for winter

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Need to upgrade my Hodgeman waders are good in the summer but last winter did not cut it. I layered up big time but still got very cold. Dry but cold. Recommendations for a durable pair for cold weather ?  Doing it all surf fishing, back bays, Delaware River...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Neoprene waders offer some insulation, but they're uncomfortable (in my

opinion) and you end up sweating a ton. If waders keep you dry, they have done their job. Warmth is based on what you wear underneath. What exactly did you wear underneath/over your waders?

Edited by C.Robin

9 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Neoprene waders offer some insulation, but they're uncomfortable (in my

opinion) and you end up sweating a ton. If waders keep you dry, they have done their job. Warmth is based on what you wear underneath. What exactly did you wear underneath/over your waders?

Agreed.  I have sock foot LL Bean waders and even though they are Neoprene in the sock, my feet sweat and get cold.  I just picked up a pair of Frog Toggs wader socks.  They are really long, all the way to my knees and they are thick and made of material that with wick water away.  I tried them this weekend and they are really nice.  It was not too cold but my feet were bone dry and for me that is a big win.

Thick 100% wool socks! They’re a little pricey but well well worth it. I double em up when it starts getting real cold

Yup... I honestly believe your Hodgemans are still the answer but you need to get yourself a pair of merino wool longjohns, some good wool socks, a thin pair of fleece pants, and take another swing at it.  Anything neoprene makes me sweat and that just is not my friend in the cold... You may also want to try putting on a breathable windstop layer (like my gortex vest) under your top layer... it helps keep your core warm and prevents the cold that leeches in from your top layer...

Winter waders should be a size larger in the boot to accommodate heavy socks and still leave room for circulation.

19 mins ago, DZ said:

Winter waders should be a size larger in the boot to accommodate heavy socks and still leave room for circulation.

Agreed Dennis. I know you remember, maybe not so fondly of soggy sweatpants and flannel shirts.

I have Orvis Sonic waders.  Stocking foot, with the light weight boots.  

breathable and very comfortable.

Here is why I like them...it gives you lots of options.

One is you can wear them when it s not freezing..even warmer as they are breathable.  Neoprene is way too hot.  I wear them steelhead fishing in January but I layer up underneath....totally warm.  Make sure you get the boots a full size up from normal.

Here is the best part...I use JUST the nice Orvis wading boots, with the carbide studs, all summer and fall for climbing around the jetty’s!  Great traction big time.

Something to think about.

Boot foot waders are great in cold, the boot doesn’t collapse around the foot like stocking foot so there is Air space between your foot and The water. I’m a breathable fan as well, good pair of fleece pants, maybe long johns under them if really cold,  and as mentioned good wool socks. 

Some great suggestions here !  I’ll give the Hodgemans another chance this year and upgrade my layers. I think my Merino wool long johns are light weight so I’ll get a heavy weight pair and fleece pants on top.

Feet - I’ve been wearing seal socks which do make my feet sweat so maybe switch to merino socks or 100% wool socks??  or someone suggested Frog Togg Wader Socks but I see those are 69% wool...not sure what to get for socks?  

Boots - staying with my stocking waders but need to upgrade my boots.  I have Korker Boots and they are not big enough to accommodate multiple socks and so so heavy.  Only wear in Rivers think I would not last long walking a beach with these on.  Feet are a major cold issue for me. I tried heated socks in the past and they worked great a few times out but then always started to fail.

hey Terphunter, Your Orvis Wading boot have the screw in studs ?   Spending top dollar on boots I’d want to wear in all seasons and studs not always needed. These worth the money or go with Simms or another brand ?

Top - I just got a StormR Strykr Jacket that I wear over the waders so top half of me solid.   Wore this on the beach with 30 to 40 mph winds and sand blowing hard. Solid. 

thanks for all the input !

Posted (edited) · Report post

Definitely second the insulated bootfoots if you easily get cold feet. I walk miles in my orvis encounter insulated bootfoots, they're very comfortable and definitely keep my feet warm. 

Edited by C.Robin

14 hours ago, Terphunter said:

I have Orvis Sonic waders.  Stocking foot, with the light weight boots.  

breathable and very comfortable.

Here is why I like them...it gives you lots of options.

One is you can wear them when it s not freezing..even warmer as they are breathable.  Neoprene is way too hot.  I wear them steelhead fishing in January but I layer up underneath....totally warm.  Make sure you get the boots a full size up from normal.

Here is the best part...I use JUST the nice Orvis wading boots, with the carbide studs, all summer and fall for climbing around the jetty’s!  Great traction big time.

Something to think about.

That sounds really versatile. I need lighter waders. I only have insulated neoprene at the moment. Too hot for most useage.