Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AdrianF

Pluggin' rod question...

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Looking for a new combo for this year. The reel will be a 6500 mag (thats the easy part smile.gif )

But i am having trouble deciding on a good rod. I plan on using it cast 5/8 up to 2 oz. Mostly bombers, Jigs, wood, and eels. I mostly fish from Sandy hook down to manasquan on the beach and rocks. I've been using the 8'6" ben doerr and it has handled strieprs to 30 pounds with out much complaints but I want something a lil stouter for flingin out a bit further. I am thinking of a XS91MHC lamiglass. Rated 1-3 ounce but from what i've been reading its more like 1-2 ounces. Another rod i've been thinking about is the St. Croix Ben Doerr elite 10'. Any thoughts or suggestions for a rod?

Thanks alot guys!

[This message has been edited by AdrianF (edited 01-27-2002).]

Adrian, the XS91MHC will throw all of 3oz, whomever stated 2oz might not have owned one icon15.gif It is an excellent choice for your needs.

TimS

If there is anyway you can swing a custom or find a friend to build you one...then here is my suggestion:

The Lamiglas GSB 120 1L blank, which is 10 feet, can be cut up to a foot from the base to fit your needs. Cut back to 9 feet, it is about as sweet as they get. Same goes for 9.5 feet. If you don't mind a 10 footer, the factory Lamiglas XS101M rod is built on this same blank and is extremely versatile. My .02, hope it helps.

Korkerstud, that's my favorite blank smile.gif I haven't had the guts to cut one back yet...but I agree, I think they'd make a killer 9 1/2' rod...but they make such a nice 10 footer I might never know icon15.gif

TimS

That was one of my other ideas actually. the thing is choppin it would void the warranty and i have bad luck with expensive rods frown.gif

Thanks for the help guys.

Tim, what would the price of that blank be? also, what applications do you use it for?

[This message has been edited by AdrianF (edited 01-29-2002).]

Tim, it is a sweet 10' blank. I think I read that Bassmaster is building a 9 or 9.5 footer based on it this winter. At nine feet it still has the nice parabolic 'moderate' type action missing in the GSB 108 1L and 1M, which are a little stiff IMO.

Good luck with the rod hunt Adrian.

[This message has been edited by korkerstud (edited 01-29-2002).]

Adrian, email me, there might be sumthin' we can do wink.gif

Korkerstud, yah, BM is doing just that...it was on my recommendation, too smile.gif

TimS

What about a Sabre 1088.... I'd prefer this blank convential built over the 1201L, even cut. I think the 1201L is too mushy, to me anyway for throwing lighter plugs like bombers and small wood metal lip swimmers. The sabre has a very fast tip...think its rated at 1 to 4...throws light jigs (1oz) and bombers well and throws bigger plugs well too. Just my opinion. The lami 1081L makes a great plugging rod built spinning, perhaps conventional as well, never built one that way.

Phil L

I was about to start a new thread but this is very close so I'll ask here.....

My needs are very close to Adrian's.

Looking for a conventional to throw

jigs and eels from inlet jetties, Manasquan

to be exact. I've been using 3/4 oz.

jigs mostly, but range from 1/2 to 1 oz.

Maybee I need to expand my range but thats a question for another thread.

First I'm going to try my 525mag.If not having a level wind drives me nuts I'll get

the 6600 c5 mag, it looks sweat, any thoughts on that one?

I searched a bit and found the sabre 1087-10089 to be reasonably priced option.

Which would fit my needs best. Needs to cast the jigs I'm using AND have some backbone to

stop a nice fish. Oh I'd like it to be 9'.

BigI,

Check the sabre 1088 batson 1088 allstar 1088 they will do the job in thier very well along with up the river a little bit also 3/4 a little lite but you can cast it on the sabre. I know Tim had a allstar built for someone and I think that one might fit the bill perfectly for you. If you want to see a sabre let me know and you can check mine out if ya want

Mike

The allstar 1088 is not a great rod for fishing lighter weights at all IMO. It is quite stiff guys, I have two and IMO its sweet spot is a tad over 2oz. It will throw 3/4oz, but it wont load the blank. Heck you COULD throw 1/8 oz jigs with a heaver, doesen't mean they will go anywhere. I have two allstar 1088's spin/conv and I wouldnt recommend them to anyone looking to throw weights under an ounce for the majority of the night. It will throw 4 oz metal, launches three, and two oz stuff is where I find it really uses its power. Underneath 1.5 it barely flexes when casting. The other sticks might fit the bill a bit better.

JC

Will the Sabre 1088 throw 3/4 oz. well? What is the sweat spot? What is the sweat spot on the 1087? Is this stick too light to stop a fish with shoulders? So, who sells sabre blanks or made up rods in Northern N.J?

Thanks for any help smile.gif