coastalfreak

Speckled Trout Fun

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Caught my first ever speckled trout (at least without a guide) yesterday near Port Fourchon, Louisiana. I think I’m FINALLY starting to get this game fish thing down. Live shrimp is the ticket for noobies like me. 

Also, I think this can teach a valuable lesson. I caught this fish on a Shakespeare Navigator combo. I got it for 14 bucks at Academy just to 1. Use it as a beater combo I didn’t really have to worry about and 2: Just to see how long it would last being so inexpensive. I did get it wet yesterday so I expect it to start dying a slow, painful death, but if you are a young kid or are even just at the lower end of the financial spectrum, don’t be afraid to get a Walmart combo. Get out there and fish, people shouldn’t be ashamed of what they fish with. Unless you are fishing the Googan Favorite combos. ;) 

Is nice gear worthless? Absolutely not! But I’m a firm believer that the fisherman’s grit, his hardwork, and his soul is far more important than the gear. Give an experienced man a Zebco 33 and a gear snob that knows nothing a Stradic and the 33 guy will out fish the latter all day. 

95B769AE-E58C-4EE3-A6EB-7A2EAAF55215.png

D1A3825F-AAED-4735-AFDA-77A79BD39360.png

Edited by coastalfreak

Nice.  One happy pic!

My 1st trip to FL (went once as a kid) I hammered specks & drum!  I was using these red & white plugs. Had a prop at both ends.   Think it was a mirrolure. 

Was KILLIN em on that. 

Live shrimp is definitely an easy way to get on them. My go-to when I’m looking to fill the freezer is live shrimp under a slip float. Moving water is a big plus too. They can be a lot of fun on lures when you find a school of them. 

If you’re looking to get on the big ones try using small croakers or big mullet. From my experience the big ones typically hangout in deeper holes too. I caught my pb 28” with a live shrimp maybe 12-15’ under the cork. EDDEF784-5B52-43A4-83C7-6FFD3D3A2004.jpeg.5434d4f9135b91a260261d84e1978dc4.jpeg

25 mins ago, saltygator said:

Live shrimp is definitely an easy way to get on them. My go-to when I’m looking to fill the freezer is live shrimp under a slip float. Moving water is a big plus too. They can be a lot of fun on lures when you find a school of them. 

If you’re looking to get on the big ones try using small croakers or big mullet. From my experience the big ones typically hangout in deeper holes too. I caught my pb 28” with a live shrimp maybe 12-15’ under the cork. EDDEF784-5B52-43A4-83C7-6FFD3D3A2004.jpeg.5434d4f9135b91a260261d84e1978dc4.jpeg

Jeeezus that thing looks like a salmon. 
Friggin huge

Nice spec, I'm on Louisiana trip #3 this fall for work. Hard to fish doing 7 16s. Try throwing some soft plastics as well, Z Man diesel minnows or bass assassin on 1/8 and 3/16oz jig heads are a personal favorite.