kid_just_wants_to_fish

Salting Baits

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

Hello everyone,

How do you usually salt your baits. (if you do)

I want to learn how to do it for surf fishing.

(bunker, squid, mackerel, shrimp, etc.)

Thank you!

This is a good question.  I recently viewed a post where someone talked about salting bunker and I thought, holy smokes there is no way this would work.  I’ve yet to try it but if it did work it might prove to be useful.  Waiting to hear answers on this one

I've only salted leftover fresh bloodworms... I lay the live worms on a piece of newspaper... Salt them with NON-iodized salt... Leave them in a warm, dry place over night.... Put them in a baggie, and toss in the freezer... They look like a piece of leather shoelace, but soon rehydrate, once hooked and soak in the water a few minutes... They work really well, and seem to be tougher than fresh... They catch fish about as well as fresh... They don't go bad after removing from the freezer, just put any unused back in the freezer...Reuse over and over...

Butch

This.

i do the same. Gonna try with eels soon  for more portability, and also as I’m not supposed to have rigged eels in my wife’s or mother in law’s freezer. 

I've salted just about everything... Or tried to at least..  Bunker and mack (whole or sliced/chunked).. clams (obviously).. eel (skins only)... squid.. and a few other things I keep around as special baits.  

Some things salt better than others.. whole and chunked bunker does well.  Sliced, not so much....

Mack salts very well.. sometimes chunks, but most frequently slices or skins.. that skin gets so tough it becomes an amazingly durable bait..

Same w eel skins... They finish like leather but soften in the water when used.. 

Some things, like clam, you can just mix a bunch of kosher salt into the container then freeze it..

Other things require more prep...

Anything I'd like to keep seperated I do the following:

I have a cookie sheet sized tupperware, maybe 4"deep... I line the bottom w kosher salt, then lay my baits over the salt neatly fitting them as closely as possible without overlapping.. then a heavy salting over the top.. then another layer of bait... Salt... Bait.... And so on until I'm out of room or out of bait...

Then I put the lid on it and set it in the chest freezer over night.... Next day I'll take the frozen pcs out and bag them up together with a good portion of the left over salt.  Kept frozen, they tend to stay seperated.  

7 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I've salted just about everything... Or tried to at least..  Bunker and mack (whole or sliced/chunked).. clams (obviously).. eel (skins only)... squid.. and a few other things I keep around as special baits.  

Some things salt better than others.. whole and chunked bunker does well.  Sliced, not so much....

Mack salts very well.. sometimes chunks, but most frequently slices or skins.. that skin gets so tough it becomes an amazingly durable bait..

Same w eel skins... They finish like leather but soften in the water when used.. 

Some things, like clam, you can just mix a bunch of kosher salt into the container then freeze it..

Other things require more prep...

Anything I'd like to keep seperated I do the following:

I have a cookie sheet sized tupperware, maybe 4"deep... I line the bottom w kosher salt, then lay my baits over the salt neatly fitting them as closely as possible without overlapping.. then a heavy salting over the top.. then another layer of bait... Salt... Bait.... And so on until I'm out of room or out of bait...

Then I put the lid on it and set it in the chest freezer over night.... Next day I'll take the frozen pcs out and bag them up together with a good portion of the left over salt.  Kept frozen, they tend to stay seperated.  

cool

do you think i can just keep them in a bucket until i go fishing

i will be going fishing this saturday to hit a high tide

Posted (edited) · Report post

Basement should be fine. 

Youtube has some folks in NZ & AUS that do alot of salted baits.  They keep them outdoors.  Hot as hell there.  

Sunlight I believe is the worst enemy

Even a covered bucket with a storage tote upside down over would work.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

3 hours ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

cool

do you think i can just keep them in a bucket until i go fishing

i will be going fishing this saturday to hit a high tide

Sure .. salted baits last a while.  But they can smell awful so the basement may get an odor... If you don't have access to a refrigerator or a cooler.  They should be fine in any cool place for a few days 

11 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Sure .. salted baits last a while.  But they can smell awful so the basement may get an odor... If you don't have access to a refrigerator or a cooler.  They should be fine in any cool place for a few days 

do I need to freeze them eventually

Just now, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

do I need to freeze them eventually

If you plan on keeping them around I would.   I mean I guess you could probably salt something to the point where it's just dried and preserved...but I really can't imagine that it would still be decent bait..

If im salting something it's usually left over bait..  we have a few extra a lbs of clam left over, salt it and freeze it.. extra eels, skin em and salt em...

I don't leave stuff out, I refrigerate anything I'll be using in a few days.  And I freeze anything I'm storing for later... 

I salt baits to toughen them up and make them so they keep well over time....

Salting something to the paint where it's dried and preserved may ruin the quality of the bait.. I'm not sure, just speculation.. 

Probably not what you're going for but I dump a good bit of salt on the ice layers as I'm filling up my cooler with bunker and ice.  I do a layer of ice --> salt over the ice --> bunker --> ice --> salt --> bunker and so on.  It basically freezes them and keeps them from getting mushy for a while  Also helps with mushy bunker you get from the tackle shop.  It will keep from getting washed out at least a few minutes longer.  Although they're sort of frozen or in a frosty state, they thaw out back to normal when you cast them out for a soak.

1 hour ago, Beachglass Guru said:

If you plan on keeping them around I would.   I mean I guess you could probably salt something to the point where it's just dried and preserved...but I really can't imagine that it would still be decent bait..

If im salting something it's usually left over bait..  we have a few extra a lbs of clam left over, salt it and freeze it.. extra eels, skin em and salt em...

I don't leave stuff out, I refrigerate anything I'll be using in a few days.  And I freeze anything I'm storing for later... 

I salt baits to toughen them up and make them so they keep well over time....

Salting something to the paint where it's dried and preserved may ruin the quality of the bait.. I'm not sure, just speculation.. 

ok, I will freeze them soon