Domjolly

Proven plugs/lures that have never worked for you

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

So out of the many legendary, great, and time proven plugs/lures (including jigs) which ones have you never had success with?....I’m sure some of this will be spot dependent so let’s say theyr known to work in your areas.

background info; I mostly fish sandy beaches and back bays and almost exclusively at night. 

For me it’s darters of any kind and I’m fishing moving water 90% of the time. The only time iv had any fish using a darter was on a teaser not on the actual darter! I have no confidence in them at this point which is mostly to blame for me not giving them a fair chance and enough time in the drink. I’m on a mission to change this and become a believer. 

Runner up would be SP minnows....I love red fins, bombers, mag darters and other plastic swimmers and do very well with them, but those darn SP’s haven’t got me anything ever! Not on a mission to change this one however. 

2nd runner up is equally as surprising as the first two...Danny plugs. Iv only ever caught on the micro versions that don’t even really behave like true Danny’s. 

Let’s share our experiences and maybe we can help one another overcome our jaded plug. 

SP Minnow is top of my list too.  Rat magnet for me.  Outside of the Canal (which doesn't count) I can only find small fish with the SP in areas that a redfin produces more quality fish.  

Needles. It's my fault though, they're just boring to me so I only give them a few casts before moving on to something else. 

3 mins ago, FoliFish said:

SP Minnow is top of my list too.  Rat magnet for me.  Outside of the Canal (which doesn't count) I can only find small fish with the SP in areas that a redfin produces more quality fish.  

Iv heard this more than a few times. I don’t even keep an SP in my backup supply in the truck anymore. 

Just now, C.Robin said:

Needles. It's my fault though, they're just boring to me so I only give them a few casts before moving on to something else. 

Two years ago that would have been #1 on my list. But I eventually unlocked the magic of needles. The solution I found was 100% based on choosing the correct weight, sink rate/buoyancy, and profile for each situation and area I was trying them in.
I used to just throw any old needle on and cast away, only varying retrieve speeds and twitch/no twitch, never having succes.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Storm rubber shads & yozuri crystal minnows

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Fresh or salt. I don't think I've ever caught anything on them. My wife & nephew will slay fish like crazy!!    I gave all mine to my nephew.  I'm going to pick some up for my daughter. Maybe she picked up her mom's ability. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

51 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Storm rubber shads & yozuri crystal minnows

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Fresh or salt. I don't think I've ever caught anything on them. My wife & nephew will slay fish like crazy!!    I gave all mine to my nephew.  I'm going to pick some up for my daughter. Maybe she picked up her mom's ability. 

I don’t have much luck with those prerigged shads myself. But give me a jig head and some shad bodies or other soft plastics and it’s on. I think it comes down to being stuck with whatever weight/size combo they came as. 

1 hour ago, FoliFish said:

Me too.  I'll cast an SP Minnow and be in awe at the movement and think to myself that this just has to work.  It don't...  Never caught anything except seaweed on one.  They look great though...

Big Metal Lips.

In fairness, I never really give them lots of swim time .

I have lots of them but they spend more time hanging in my unused plug section than they do going fishing with me.

Maybe I’ll change things up one of these days and give them more of a shot.

Its amazing how some guys confidence lures are other guys nemesis....for me its the zig zag...my buddy and i have an ongoing challenge that the first one to catch on it gets a dinner from the other one...i also notice quite frequently that the lures are cyclical....the way sps performed years ago have not been performing for me...lures work differently in areas i fish so i have found myself selling lures off that i tried to experiment with but flopped for me....meanwhile other guys wont leave home without

Surprised to see SP minnows on this list a few times. Blurple at night has been a killer for me, both big and small fish. Quite a few times it is all they would hit.

23 mins ago, jettyjmpr said:

Its amazing how some guys confidence lures are other guys nemesis....for me its the zig zag...my buddy and i have an ongoing challenge that the first one to catch on it gets a dinner from the other one...i also notice quite frequently that the lures are cyclical....the way sps performed years ago have not been performing for me...lures work differently in areas i fish so i have found myself selling lures off that i tried to experiment with but flopped for me....meanwhile other guys wont leave home without

It really is quite remarkable, especially when both anglers are fishing the same water!

25 mins ago, valentine said:

Big Metal Lips.

In fairness, I never really give them lots of swim time .

I have lots of them but they spend more time hanging in my unused plug section than they do going fishing with me.

Maybe I’ll change things up one of these days and give them more of a shot.

Same here. Plus they're very cumbersome to lug around and chuck on extended outings.