Tsunami Salt X Reels - Advice

Rate this topic

malaka11050

On 10/30/2020 at 7:54 AM, Surreal said:

Wow, those pictures are pretty unsettling. Was that being reeled underwater?

I wasn’t intentionally cranking it underwater, but my friends and I do wade/wetsuit so it does get very wet and gets dunked from waves etc...  I guess when they advertise it as a fully sealed and a submersible reel, I truly believed that. You live and learn. I do however think, and hope that the earlier version that I purchased was flawed in some way and hopefully the newer versions have been fixed. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using mine since Aug of last year.  I have dunked it, reeled under water and got it splashed on often.  Today I decided I would open it after a day of fishing on the ocean.  I made sure to dunk it and reel under water just to see what it looks like inside.  

I am not unhappy!  In the pics you will see some dark color grease, that's Penn grease.  I started to service the reel without thinking that I should take pics first lol... DuH...  

Unfortunately the pics came out kind of lousy.  I should have checked them before putting the reel back together.

IMG_0788[1].JPG

IMG_0787[1].JPG

IMG_0786[1].JPG

IMG_0785[1].JPG

IMG_0784[1].JPG

IMG_0786[1].JPG

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2020 at 5:25 PM, Birdsnester said:

I've been using mine since Aug of last year.  I have dunked it, reeled under water and got it splashed on often.  Today I decided I would open it after a day of fishing on the ocean.  I made sure to dunk it and reel under water just to see what it looks like inside.  

I am not unhappy!  In the pics you will see some dark color grease, that's Penn grease.  I started to service the reel without thinking that I should take pics first lol... DuH...  

Unfortunately the pics came out kind of lousy.  I should have checked them before putting the reel back together.

IMG_0788[1].JPG

IMG_0787[1].JPG

IMG_0786[1].JPG

IMG_0785[1].JPG

IMG_0784[1].JPG

IMG_0786[1].JPG

That looks way better than mine. Now that it’s fixed I cleaned it down for the season and its resting on a shelf. 

5 hours ago, Meal09 said:

Bought a 4000 and a 6000.

4000 is awesome.

6000 I had so many problems I returned it and bought another VS.  Line kept getting caught and snapping off.  Anyone else have this issue? 

Seems like the SaltX reel quality is very inconsistent for each owner. Some great experiences and some bad.  I have owned 2 6000 reels since they first came out and they have been solid.  I like them very much. However, IMHO it’s a very good reel for guys fishing from the sand & rocks where submersion is MINIMAL at most. I don’t think it’s a reel wetsuiters should be using or any guys who wade feel water and will have them submersed frequently. 
I would not trust it to swim with regardless of the “fully sealed” description.  VS & ZB only for that. 

43 mins ago, jsbergen said:

Seems like the SaltX reel quality is very inconsistent for each owner. Some great experiences and some bad.  I have owned 2 6000 reels since they first came out and they have been solid.  I like them very much. However, IMHO it’s a very good reel for guys fishing from the sand & rocks where submersion is MINIMAL at most. I don’t think it’s a reel wetsuiters should be using or any guys who wade feel water and will have them submersed frequently. 
I would not trust it to swim with regardless of the “fully sealed” description.  VS & ZB only for that. 

Completely agree with this, I just got my first Saltx replaced - Bimini Bay has the best customer service I’ve experienced BTW, they replaced the reel no questions asked and Cindy does a great job. But, the new 6k I just received definitely seems smoother than my first one. Hoping this one is better because I think this reel could be a real winner if all the kinks are sorted out.

6 hours ago, Meal09 said:

4000 is awesome.

6000 I had so many problems I returned it and bought another VS.  Line kept getting caught and snapping off.  Anyone else have this issue? 

Wow that’s weird.  I’ve never had a snap off, not once.

6 hours ago, Meal09 said:

4000 is awesome.

That sucks you had those line issues with the 6000.  I never had that happen on mine thankfully.

- Do you mind sharing exactly how it was happening? 

- Also, what kind of braid & LB test line was it? 

Thanks man