malaka11050

Tsunami Salt X Reels - Advice

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I have seen a bunch of Tsunami Salt X threads here on SOL, but none from 2020. These are relatively new to the market and I was wondering if anyone out there has owned one for a decent length of time and can give their opinion. 

I am looking for an upgraded surf reel and obviously I'm attracted to the price compared to a VS, and willing to accept a slightly inferior product, but not a greatly inferior product. 

Long story short, are these Tsunamis worth it?

The SaltX came out in late 2019 so you won't see anyone owning one for 5+ years if that's the feedback you're looking for. 

There is no substitute for a true Van Staal or Zeebass. They are completely sealed and the Van Staal VR and Tsunami SaltX are not. They will be just fine against getting splashed a lot or getting submerged, but if you're going to fish underwater/turn the handle a lot under water or intend to use the reel a lot, save your $ and buy a VSX. A Van Staal VR or SaltX are decent reels otherwise.

Sincerely, 

A VR Van Staal owner who just got his reel back from service after 2 years of fishing and $60 worth of repairs to replace a blown/leaked clutch. :) 

5 hours ago, malaka11050 said:

I have seen a bunch of Tsunami Salt X threads here on SOL, but none from 2020. These are relatively new to the market and I was wondering if anyone out there has owned one for a decent length of time and can give their opinion. 

I am looking for an upgraded surf reel and obviously I'm attracted to the price compared to a VS, and willing to accept a slightly inferior product, but not a greatly inferior product. 

I’ve had mine for two seasons now and it’s been flawless.  It’s been dunked and reeled under water without fail.  I’ve not opened it but haven’t had a reason to.  It operates exactly the same as it did when I bought it.

Only thing I don't like about mine is when I had it setup bailless the braid had a tendency to get caught between the drag knob and the spool.  Seemed to only happen on days when the wind was really ripping but it was enough that I put the bail back on.  Other then that its underwater almost every time I'm out, not reeling it underwater just using the rod as a walking stick to and from rocks.  

Have two of them.  Got a black one in April.  Fish it once a week from a jetty mostly.  Been soaked a few times.  Not crawling on rocks at Montauk but fish it a lot. Really like it. Like it enough that I got a silver one for heavier jetty set up if we ever get some bigger fish!  Lol  

line lay has been good, drag is awesome and smooth.  Fit and finish is very nice, look killer and not 600$.  VS is awesome but I’m sure I don’t need that for what I’m using it for.  Probably don’t need these either but its nice to spoil yourself once in while! 

good luck

FFCBC9A8-021E-4308-AB65-5D7A6E58E0B2.jpeg

Here is my advise to you regarding these reels. I have had 2 of the 6000 reels for over a year now. (Sept 2019) Ive fished the piss out of them and they have been solid. Zero hiccups at all. Im fishing  NJ sand beaches 90% of the time so they have been dunked alot but not in excess. If you are a wetsuiter and do any swimming I would not suggest this reel. Only a VS or ZB for swimming. So outside of that condition of fishing I would suggest it to anyone with confidence. I have one on a 9'6 and the other on a 10'6. 

6 hours ago, jsbergen said:

Here is my advise to you regarding these reels. I have had 2 of the 6000 reels for over a year now. (Sept 2019) Ive fished the piss out of them and they have been solid. Zero hiccups at all. Im fishing  NJ sand beaches 90% of the time so they have been dunked alot but not in excess. If you are a wetsuiter and do any swimming I would not suggest this reel. Only a VS or ZB for swimming. So outside of that condition of fishing I would suggest it to anyone with confidence. I have one on a 9'6 and the other on a 10'6. 

Why do you suggest no swimming with it?  You said that it's been flawless, mine has too.  It's given me no reason to think that it won't do what it is supposed to do.

I took some waves last night and some crunchy thick sand/salt got into the handle where the grip attaches. I could hear/feel it so I just kept fishing and a few mins later all was back to normal. But I was seriously worried it got inside the main gear at first......

6 mins ago, RyanJ_88 said:

I took some waves last night and some crunchy thick sand/salt got into the handle where the grip attaches. I could hear/feel it so I just kept fishing and a few mins later all was back to normal. But I was seriously worried it got inside the main gear at first......

It'd be interesting to see.  Do you plan on opening it up?  Would love to see inside...

1 hour ago, Birdsnester said:

It'd be interesting to see.  Do you plan on opening it up?  Would love to see inside...

Nope-- I just had some time on a job (raining here) so was able to take rotor and handle off and see that there was no intrusion there so its staying together. Full disclosure this is my second one after some sand got inside my original and got it warrantied. Also to note is my original handle while cranking was super loose even when sure it was on correctly when compared to this one, this feels much tighter like you'd expect a fully sealed real to but I had nothing to reference so didnt think about it. Couldve been assembly issue but in fairness the new reel has been superb aside from that hiccup last night. 

On 10/26/2020 at 10:17 AM, malaka11050 said:

Yes, I bought one in late 2019. Used it for a few months this year and heard a grinding sound.  Opened it up and water dumped out. Under warranty by Tsunami so it was repaired and a LOT of work was needed.  I have not fished it since I got it back. Great repair work, I’m just too nervous to bring it back near the water.

2101DD7B-D8EE-4528-920A-3D0748CD9335.jpeg

3D5CA4F5-A00F-4842-B798-E4579F1A17BD.jpeg

274F812A-B3A6-439A-981D-6CAC0EEE97F6.jpeg

B153C08C-66CC-4F73-A457-96102F79BCD0.jpeg

Wow there wasn’t much left to go wrong.  Dang I really like mine and haven’t had an issue.  Glad they took care of it though