Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wishing I was Fishing

Pencil Popping

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Was talking to a fishing friend the other day.He was showing me an old stick of his made from S glass.Pretty stick,very light and great action. He told me in the Old days guys used to put 8 ounces of lead in the rod's butt.When i questioned him why anyone would want to make a light rod heavier he said this way it was easier to work the rod when throwing a pencil popper. The lead in the butt kept it stationary and much easier to work the the rod tip.I can say from personal experience that the rod has a great action, the whole rod shakes not just the tip.

Anybody else out there hear of this? And does anybody still do it this way?

WIWF,

I also use an S-glass for pencil poppers (when I fish from the Truck and can carry extra rods). the action on the S-glass, in my opinion, is perfect for the PP's. Ive PP'd with all my other rods, and it works kust fine, but for the perfect action, the S-glass is key... plus, theres nothing like feeling a good sized fish pull and you can feel it in the butt of the rod. I havent added extra weight to the bottom, but.. I use an extra long butt end, so in essence that creates extra weight. its perfectly balanced, and I Pencil pop all day if need be...

In this day and age of graphite and aother rods, the S-glass still does one thing better...

BC

I have counterweighted rods to bring them in better blance.

Apparently I have weak wrists and I was developing tendonitis from working bucktails because the tip was too heavy.

I did not add eight ounces, only enough to move the center of balance toward the reel.

The counterweighting worked well, and my tendonitis cleared up nicely. I do not recommend it for a properly balanced rig, as I prefer as light an outfit as possible, but a tip heavy rod can be torture working lures in current and can be really improved by counterweights.

Very intersting....

I must say, however, that a pencil popper can be worked well with either a glass or a graphite rod. I used glass for a few years and loved it. However, I found that I get much more tired popping the pencil with the glass than the graphite. While I concede that the glass rod may appear to be creating more topwater action on the plug, if you work the graphite stick the right way, you can have the same affect with a little less effort.

That said, I am still a fan of catching the big 'uns on the glass rod. Something about that parabolic bend. Like BC mentioned, you can actually feel that fish all the way down to the butt cap. Incredible....

THE KID

Kid, as your name implies you must have an indefinite amount of energy to work a pencil on graphite and can't equate the difference of a S glass 2M. IMO, Pr0ospector

B.C..

I agree about the glass rod being the best for the PP. I saw the topic and it brought a smile to my face. Is there anything better than a 20+ lb bass crashing a pencil???? I now do 80% of my fishing in da dark do to work and productivity. The bulk of my PPin is done during the mullet run mostly at dawn and dusk. Once the little blue bass magnet head south, its bucktails more often but with the pencil close by.

The way the glass rod worked the plug was great, but im only using graphite now due to the pro's in casting, hookset,and the amount of energy spent. With the graphite i find if i use a circular pumping motion im exerting less energy and getting the plug to dance the way it needs to. Some very good fisherman are still using glass, but for me it's graphite lami GSB120L or 132m for my PPin.God i love that plug!!