CLFish5

Blackhole Suzuki 9’6

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Hey everyone

I was about to buy this rod but now I’m hesitating because my friend that owns it says the guides aren’t good. I want an all purpose surf rod that can throw 3/4-3 ish. 

are the guides really that bad? Is it something that would effect its performance and would I even notice? Should I look elsewhere?

25 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

Hey everyone

I was about to buy this rod but now I’m hesitating because my friend that owns it says the guides aren’t good. I want an all purpose surf rod that can throw 3/4-3 ish. 

are the guides really that bad? Is it something that would effect its performance and would I even notice? Should I look elsewhere?

Then this is not the rod for you.  It’s nice if you are tossing 1/2 to 2 for short distance but 3 is too much for this little rod.  I just picked up a Lami GSB 1322L and it rips 1 to 2 1/2 oz out of sight and it casts 3 oz very well too.  It’s true to its range.  I can’t recommend the Suzuki and probably won’t use it again. The guides look fine to me BTW

1 hour ago, Birdsnester said:

Then this is not the rod for you.  It’s nice if you are tossing 1/2 to 2 for short distance but 3 is too much for this little rod.  I just picked up a Lami GSB 1322L and it rips 1 to 2 1/2 oz out of sight and it casts 3 oz very well too.  It’s true to its range.  I can’t recommend the Suzuki and probably won’t use it again. The guides look fine to me BTW

Thanks for your feedback. The Lami doesn’t work either because I don’t want 11 foot rod

6 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

Hey everyone

I prefer tossing 2 or under, but I've thrown 3 many times w the 9'6 suzuki without any issues...

Sure it may be the top end of it range, But I dont hold back and the rod has never failed me.. if your loading and casting properly, you shouldn't have any issues.. 

In the hand, the rod doesn't feel like it could handle it, but I can, IME.. and it's a very comfortable rod to fish..

The guides are fine.  If you take care of your gear you won't have any issues.. I build lots of customs but I own several suzuki factory rods, because what your getting for the $ is hard to beat...  I've run more line though these guides than I could say, and there is absolutely nothing wrong w them.. 

54 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I prefer tossing 2 or under, but I've thrown 3 many times w the 9'6 suzuki without any issues...

Sure it may be the top end of it range, But I dont hold back and the rod has never failed me.. if your loading and casting properly, you shouldn't have any issues.. 

In the hand, the rod doesn't feel like it could handle it, but I can, IME.. and it's a very comfortable rod to fish..

The guides are fine.  If you take care of your gear you won't have any issues.. I build lots of customs but I own several suzuki factory rods, because what your getting for the $ is hard to beat...  I've run more line though these guides than I could say, and there is absolutely nothing wrong w them.. 

Spot on BGG. I own the 10' Suzuki and it's hands down my favorite rod in my arsenal. Unless I plan on fishing with large wood I grab the Suzuki. The 10' can handle 3oz no problem if you cast properly, so I can imagine the 9'6" does it even better so. And yes, there's nothing wrong with the guides at all.

I built a 9'6" Suzuki with Microwave guides, it can handle 3oz. with no problem, landed a 40lbr. last season and that rod danced like a ballerina...

11 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

Hey everyone

I have the first generation of this rod.  I like it a lot.

For $195 i think that it is a great buy.

The newer one has a split grip handle which i prefer over mine..

I still like this rod a lot.

6 hours ago, prican1 said:

I built a 9'6" Suzuki with Microwave guides, it can handle 3oz. with no probleMm, landed a 40lbr. last season and that rod danced like a ballerina...

I built an East Coast Special with Microwave guides and wow they are fantastic.  What a great idea in guides and they look cool too.  

7 hours ago, chitala383 said:

Spot on BGG. I own the 10' Suzuki and it's hands down my favorite rod in my arsenal. Unless I plan on fishing with large wood I grab the Suzuki. The 10' can handle 3oz no problem if you cast properly, so I can imagine the 9'6" does it even better so. And yes, there's nothing wrong with the guides at all.

Is that the model rated 1/2-2? Just wondering since I just ordered one.

5 mins ago, plugchucker said:

Is that the model rated 1/2-2? Just wondering since I just ordered one.

Mine is rated 1/2 to 2 and like others said, it will cast 3 but it does not like it.