BigRedBearClaw

Rod for VSX150 in NJ? (Recommendations please)

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, BigRedBearClaw said:

Wow this is literally the first meh report I've gotten about ODM, literally everyone swears by them. But rods break, and a 15 year warranty on the new St  Croix Avid for $100 more has got me hesitant to buy even from other very well known companies.

I love Tsunami's customer service, but I've also broken enough of their rods that I'm not buying from them anymore (part of the reason I'm hesitant to drop big $ on a SaltX). 

The next time you purchase a Tsunami product from Dickheads, don't buy a warranty on it. Tsunami is based in Mahwah NJ and has an excellent warranty on their products. It's essentially over the counter for 1-3 years, depending on the rod you buy. 

As far as the St Croix Avid, they're very well made, but IMO the rod is just too fast/stiff for most applications in the 9' version. There's just no bend in the rod. 

The 9' ODM Genesis is a really nice pole, as is the SaltX from Tsunami. The ODM DNA is also nice for a few bucks less. The Triumph surf rods are a lot more of a moderate/do all action vs the Avid series. Same with the Mojos, which are good rods.

The 9ft genesis pairs fairly perfect for me with the 150, However I'd say to go with the 9'6 Frontier x, it pretty much covers most applications we have in NJ with this rod. The genesis is amazing but since it's action favors certain types of fishing. The Frontier x is stiffer and will handle the beaches and the rocks great, I actually used it in Montauk and I don't see a reason why it Wouldn't work. You can also look at BH rods, I haven't had their rods give me the best results in terms of what I want but some guys swear by em and you could prob ask @ksong for what you want out of a rod and he'll probably recommend you something to fit you.

My recommendation for that reel would be the Century Slingshot 1145.

The 1145 is one of my favorite rods. Perfect medium fast action with nice sensitivity. Light as a feather and can handle big fish. You will be able to throw all day long with little fatigue. Works lures through its whole range. I even threw 2oz. and bait with it while fishing the outer banks a few weeks ago. Century makes awesome products. Quality!

I would consider the St Croix Legends right up there performance wise. I love these rods! Sometimes they are a PITA transporting them because of the 60/40 2 piece design. St croix is a great company!

I have/had a few of the ODM models and can say they are very nice. Unlike many here, they are not my favorites. 

1 hour ago, TopwaterPete said:

The next time you purchase a Tsunami product from Dickheads, don't buy a warranty on it. Tsunami is based in Mahwah NJ and has an excellent warranty on their products. It's essentially over the counter for 1-3 years, depending on the rod you buy. 

As far as the St Croix Avid, they're very well made, but IMO the rod is just too fast/stiff for most applications in the 9' version. There's just no bend in the rod. 

The 9' ODM Genesis is a really nice pole, as is the SaltX from Tsunami. The ODM DNA is also nice for a few bucks less. The Triumph surf rods are a lot more of a moderate/do all action vs the Avid series. Same with the Mojos, which are good rods.

All right, this is what I was looking for!

The Triumph looks a little too light to be a true "all arounder", that Mojo Surf looks closer to what I'd be looking for though. 

On a side note: I learned my lesson about buying from the big box, I support Tackle World when I'm in Northern Jersey, Grumpy's when in South Jersey, and Master Bait & Tackle in Bonita Springs, FL. 

Even though I'm a little down on Tsunami's surf rods at the moment, I am still eying the Carbon Shield II 7'6"MH for Florida this winter can and also be used to throw lures under 1oz.

They're still one of our local brands and perhaps the best bang for your buck in the game. 

And yes Tsunami's warranty has always been been great. If I bought it somewhere other than Dick's I would have brought it back to the store. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBearClaw said:

All right, this is what I was looking for!

The Triumph looks a little too light to be a true "all arounder", that Mojo Surf looks closer to what I'd be looking for though. 

On a side note: I learned my lesson about buying from the big box, I support Tackle World when I'm in Northern Jersey, Grumpy's when in South Jersey, and Master Bait & Tackle in Bonita Springs, FL. 

Even though I'm a little down on Tsunami's surf rods at the moment, I am still eying the Carbon Shield II 7'6"MH for Florida this winter can and also be used to throw lures under 1oz.

They're still one of our local brands and perhaps the best bang for your buck in the game. 

And yes Tsunami's warranty has always been been great. If I bought it somewhere other than Dick's I would have brought it back to the store. 

Skip the carBon shield and take a look at TFO inshore. I spend a few weeks in the Florida keys every year that’s my do pretty much anything rod. 

Posted (edited)

Lami GSB1201L.  For surf/beach, I always choose a longer stick (10').  And I definitely prefer no ferrules (hence, the 1L).  I bought this as a blank three years ago, and wrapped it-- specifically to match a VSX150.  Incredibly light outfit; but tough enough to handle plugs to 3.5 oz, and set home 4/0 sized hooks.  The outfit is my Beach rod (Outer Cape; NJ when I visit the family).  It is NOT my outfit for the Canal; Block; Cutty.

Edited by sauerkraut
spelling

On 10/25/2020 at 10:50 AM, BigRedBearClaw said:

I just got a VSX150 on the forum. As luck would have it, I broke my 10' Airwave the first time I used it. 

Thankfully I bought insurance on it at Dicks when I purchased it. Now I have a nice little gift card to put towards a new rod. 

I MOSTLY fish NJ beaches but will make it to LI 1-3 times per year and up to MA 1-2 times per year. The vast majority of my time will be spent throwing bucktails, artificials and plugging (and in the summer put it on a 7'6" MHF St Croix Mojo Inshore for fluke and smaller species). 

Now I don't need an all arounder that can try to do Montauk and the Canal, but something I can use on NJ beaches + jetties, but can also be used if I visit family "Out East" would be ideal. 

As I just learned through experience, a good warranty matters, but I can also get 2-3 rods before I pay for 1 St. Croix legend. 

I'm looking at a 9' Grumpy's Sandstorm (3/4-3oz)... I held it at the show last year and was impressed. 

I also like the 2021 9' St. Croix Triumph (1/2-2.5oz) and the 2020 St. Croix Avid Surf 9' (1-4oz). 

QUESTION: Grumpys describes the Sandstorm as designed for NJ. What does the perfect  NJ Surf Rod that mean to you and how do you fish in NJ? What rod/reel combination do you use in NJ (when not deep in the 24 hour soak #GarbageMan). What rod pairs best with this reel and allows me to do the most. 

For years I've almost exclusively fished IBSP (fishing with the family) but this year and in the future, I want to see more of what NJ has to offer when fishing saltwater from shore, jetty or maybe even pier. 

Let's see where this goes (let's pretend there's no budget, then work our way back to reality when we get some consensus). Thank you, tight lines, and happy Sunday! 

If I owned the 150, I would put that on a CTS surf and jetty also called the baycaster. It’s 10 footer rated 2-3.5oz or a 10 foot s7 rated 1-4oz. You can probably get these rods in a 9’6 too. Plenty of options out there. Look on the bst forum. Higher end rod for less money

Get any one of the 9 foot rods in the ODM lineup and call it a day. These rods make St.Croix and Lamaglas obsolete IMHO. There products are just on another level than most of the companys out there ( im not saying EVERYONE  company but most).

I wouldnt go any bigger than 9ft with the VS150 plus with the past few seasons and all the smallish fish the 9ft is all you need. 

On 10/26/2020 at 10:11 AM, MEF said:

I use my 150 on the mojo surf 9 foot 3/4-4 and absolutely love the combo. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices above though. It's a matter of personal preference.

Do you recommend the 9’ mojo surf in medium power moderate fast action 1-4 oz or medium power moderate action 3/4-4 oz

I use my 150 on the mojo surf 9 foot 3/4-4 and absolutely love the combo. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices above though. It's a matter of personal preference.

Do you recommend the 9’ mojo surf in medium power moderate fast action 1-4 oz or medium power moderate action 3/4-4 oz also would a saragosa 6000 work on this rod?

Do you recommend the 9’ mojo surf in medium power moderate fast action 1-4 oz or medium power moderate action 3/4-4 oz also would a saragosa 6000 work on this rod?

I think that Grumpy’s 9’ is the same feel as the legend. The guy bob did the layout so you know it’s good. And the ODM dna 9 is a great choice. That’s the one I would get. They are a great rod.