Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I just got a VSX150 on the forum. As luck would have it, I broke my 10' Airwave the first time I used it. 

Thankfully I bought insurance on it at Dicks when I purchased it. Now I have a nice little gift card to put towards a new rod. 

I MOSTLY fish NJ beaches but will make it to LI 1-3 times per year and up to MA 1-2 times per year. The vast majority of my time will be spent throwing bucktails, artificials and plugging (and in the summer put it on a 7'6" MHF St Croix Mojo Inshore for fluke and smaller species). 

Now I don't need an all arounder that can try to do Montauk and the Canal, but something I can use on NJ beaches + jetties, but can also be used if I visit family "Out East" would be ideal. 

As I just learned through experience, a good warranty matters, but I can also get 2-3 rods before I pay for 1 St. Croix legend. 

I'm looking at a 9' Grumpy's Sandstorm (3/4-3oz)... I held it at the show last year and was impressed. 

I also like the 2021 9' St. Croix Triumph (1/2-2.5oz) and the 2020 St. Croix Avid Surf 9' (1-4oz). 

QUESTION: Grumpys describes the Sandstorm as designed for NJ. What does the perfect  NJ Surf Rod that mean to you and how do you fish in NJ? What rod/reel combination do you use in NJ (when not deep in the 24 hour soak #GarbageMan). What rod pairs best with this reel and allows me to do the most. 

For years I've almost exclusively fished IBSP (fishing with the family) but this year and in the future, I want to see more of what NJ has to offer when fishing saltwater from shore, jetty or maybe even pier. 

Let's see where this goes (let's pretend there's no budget, then work our way back to reality when we get some consensus). Thank you, tight lines, and happy Sunday! 

I had a genesis 10ft 3/4-4 when I had my vs150. That baby casted beautifully. Took that same rod to the canal and landed a 30lb bass no problem. (Not recommended) I snapped that rod casting and they handed me a new one at there office in jersey city. Now I’m on a custom built nex1. Can’t say enough good about ODM. 

as for the grumpys rod. That’s my home base shop and Bobby builds a great product. I haven’t seen it or felt it but I can’t imagine it being a POS either. For the price you prob can’t beat it. 

2 hours ago, MikedNJ said:

I had a genesis 10ft 3/4-4 when I had my vs150. That baby casted beautifully. Took that same rod to the canal and landed a 30lb bass no problem. (Not recommended) I snapped that rod casting and they handed me a new one at there office in jersey city. Now I’m on a custom built nex1. Can’t say enough good about ODM. 

as for the grumpys rod. That’s my home base shop and Bobby builds a great product. I haven’t seen it or felt it but I can’t imagine it being a POS either. For the price you prob can’t beat it. 

Thanks so much! You don't think 10' is too much for the small reel? 

1 hour ago, 631dean said:

Personally - I have my 150 on a 9ft rod and pairs perfect. I like a 200 on a 10’ 

What 9' and what is the lure/load rating? Do you prefer something that can throw more at the top end or something that can get away with throwing things on the lighter end?

9 hours ago, BigRedBearClaw said:

Thanks so much! You don't think 10' is too much for the small reel? 

I have a 10ft nex1 1-5 now with a vsx200 on it. 

i loved my genesis with the 150 I never felt the need of a bigger reel. It casted effortlessly and far. When I fished the canal I threw a spheros 6000 on it. 

5 mins ago, BigRedBearClaw said:

I've always heard great things about them. Is that what you have? 

I've fished one with a vs150 and it was a kickass combo, I am still fishing a 10-6 DNA but right now the only 9 footer I have is the 9-6 airwave elite, also a good rod 

I use my 150 on the mojo surf 9 foot 3/4-4 and absolutely love the combo. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices above though. It's a matter of personal preference.

18 mins ago, MEF said:

I use my 150 on the mojo surf 9 foot 3/4-4 and absolutely love the combo. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices above though. It's a matter of personal preference.

100%. I'd love to do the ODM but I'm a little wary of the 1 year warranty. I love the warranty on St. Croix, but I have trouble rationalizing paying for the high end models. If a St. Croix breaks it still costs $ to replace. I feel like if you take care of your stuff you might not need the warranty, but you never know. 

There's also some demo days coming up. I just need to make a decision sooner than later so I'm not stuck doing the rest of the fall on a travel surf rod. 

2 mins ago, BigRedBearClaw said:

100%. I'd love to do the ODM but I'm a little wary of the 1 year warranty. I love the warranty on St. Croix, but I have trouble rationalizing paying for the high end models. If a St. Croix breaks it still costs $ to replace. I feel like if you take care of your stuff you might not need the warranty, but you never know. 

There's also some demo days coming up. I just need to make a decision sooner than later so I'm not stuck doing the rest of the fall on a travel surf rod. 

ODM Customer Service is the best in the industry, if you encounter any issues with their product they'll take care of you 

33 mins ago, AJR said:

ODM Customer Service is the best in the industry, if you encounter any issues with their product they'll take care of you 

I second this. Handed Them a shattered genesis in person at the office and he gave me a brand new 1. Laughed it off and said keep fishing hard! 

don’t focus that much on rod warranty. You shouldn’t ever need it. Most big companies will be willing to help you out within reason. 

i just got an odm genesis nxg93 this weekend fished it on saturday.  conditions were pretty terrible for testing its casting&fighting ability since all the fish were in the wash, and really small.  its a nice rod i hate that its a 2 piece i put it together and added electrical tape.  the lack of any real warranty worries me and for the $$ i wasnt really blown away.  i might be returning it and buying a st croix off the shelf or getting a custom 1 piece made this winter.

5 mins ago, gobigblue said:

i just got an odm genesis nxg93 this weekend fished it on saturday.  conditions were pretty terrible for testing its casting&fighting ability since all the fish were in the wash, and really small.  its a nice rod i hate that its a 2 piece i put it together and added electrical tape.  the lack of any real warranty worries me and for the $$ i wasnt really blown away.  i might be returning it and buying a st croix off the shelf or getting a custom 1 piece made this winter.

Wow this is literally the first meh report I've gotten about ODM, literally everyone swears by them. But rods break, and a 15 year warranty on the new St  Croix Avid for $100 more has got me hesitant to buy even from other very well known companies.

I love Tsunami's customer service, but I've also broken enough of their rods that I'm not buying from them anymore (part of the reason I'm hesitant to drop big $ on a SaltX).