youngc

Loose Rod Section/Ferrule

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I got a new rod this past year and have fished it a few times but have noticed that the top section (2-piece) will start to twist and loosen while I'm fishing. I know this can lead to failure in that area and I want to make sure that doesn't happen so is there a way to keep the parts from loosening? I don't have any paraffin wax on me so wondering if there is another trick I can try. Thanks in advance

Clean both sides with some alcohol, there may be something slippery in the female end. If it’s still loose you can rub a candle or chapstick on the male side, or of course epoxy it together. If it’s a defect you can probably return it under warranty .

Definitely try Parafin or a candle stub applied to the male ferrule, after cleaning. My experience with soft waxes like beeswax is that they are  sticky, smear, and attract dust. 

Clean inside and out. Q-Tip and alcohol wipe and dry. Even a Birthday Cake candle will sufice. Assemble both halfs a 1/4 turn off and twist into proper alignment. If it's still loose clean the male end very lightly sand with fine paper, just to brake any glaze. Dip the end in polyurethane floor varnish and hang vertically letting it run off and dry 24hr. The slight increase in diameter should fix.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 5:05 PM, youngc said:

I got a new rod this past year and have fished it a few times but have noticed that the top section (2-piece) will start to twist and loosen while I'm fishing. I know this can lead to failure in that area and I want to make sure that doesn't happen so is there a way to keep the parts from loosening? I don't have any paraffin wax on me so wondering if there is another trick I can try. Thanks in advance

take the male part and rub it on your nose,try to cover the area that is covered by the female part,then hold the top part at a 45degree to the bottom,as you feel it start getting snug twist it to line up and it should stay put.

got that from an old salt,it def works since we don't cast perfectly and the torque from the weight will try to twist the rod.

it's the oils on your nose/face/skin/ears that allows it to slip-fit.

HH