flyangler

Anyone interested in a SOL Florida meet-up in January?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Throwing this out there to see if there is any interest in a SOL Florida meet-up in January in the Jupiter area? I have shared messages with several folks here who have said it would be great to meet and fish together individually. I was wondering if making it a bigger more open event could make it more interesting. 

This is what I am thinking:

• A Saturday in mid-late January
  • Carlin Park in Jupiter (north of Palm Beach, south of Stuart)
  • Sunrise to mid-afternoon with a group lunch
  • Morning session fishing for sharks or whatever is in the area
  • Lunch which can by BYO or something more organized like a potluck
  • Afternoon session continue the morning program PLUS an ocean fly fishing teach-in
  • Group dinner for anyone interested

The Park is on the ocean 7 minutes from I-95 and is just south of Jupiter Inlet and several miles north of the famous Juno Beach Pier. It offers picnic tables, a breakfast/lunch restaurant and what should be wide open beaches (who swims in Florida in January?) There are some reasonably priced hotels in the area for those interested in making it an overnight (mandatory for anyone traveling in and wanting to be there for sunrise). 

Mid-late January should be in the midst of the annual blacktip shark migration and those can be targeted from the beach with both plugs and bait. If this happens, I might be able to cajole @zcoker to provide a masterclass clinic in beach shark fishing. 

I traded message with @RedGreen who thought the fly fishing aspect might be interesting. If he can make the trip across the state, between the two of us we would have four or more two-handed, ocean-grade rods and more single-hand rods than we would ever need. I have a charter captain friend in Jupiter who is also a certified casting instructor and I might be able to get him to come to give pointers to anyone new to the fly rod. Conditions could be windy given it is January but it is an idea. If there is enough interest in casting instruction and the weather is uncooperative, there are spots nearby where the grass might be more forgiving. 

Heck, we might even be able to get @HL to come a little bit north and join the fun if he's in town. 

So, without going into any more details, who might be interested in such an event?

Thanks.

Edited by flyangler

I'm down for it. I'd bring my 11' surf rod too if there are indeed sharks in the water, with my larger pencil poppers... I'm not too proud to drop the fly rod if it has to be done to catch blacktips.

I was actually at that beach I think when I ventured down here January this year. Wasn't much happening when I was there but the water was a pretty gorgeous blue.

1 min ago, RedGreen said:

I'm down for it. I'd bring my 11' surf rod too if there are indeed sharks in the water, with my larger pencil poppers... I'm not too proud to drop the fly rod if it has to be done to catch blacktips.

I was actually at that beach I think when I ventured down here January this year. Wasn't much happening when I was there but the water was a pretty gorgeous blue.

Cool!

January can be hit or miss. Bluefish, ladyfish and the ever present jacks can be around if there is any bait. At that time of year the baits are small. if these predators are around, so might the blacktips. Heck, the sharks are always cruising looking for a meal. If Zane comes by and inhales a good lungful, he can tells us pretty quick if there are sharks about given he is the shark whisperer. 

On 10/24/2020 at 6:06 PM, SnookerFla said:

Count me in. I'm local.

On 10/25/2020 at 5:16 AM, gman1253 said:

I'm in ..... count on wind for sure.

I'm local as well.

9 hours ago, reelfire said:

Count me in. I'm just south of Daytona but I'll travel.

2 hours ago, bronson said:

great location (carlin park) my dad lives in delray and I'm around a bit in the winter....hope to make it...following

9 mins ago, AJR said:

Would also be interested

Cool! Half a dozen above right now and a couple more guys from the PG who don't come to this forum. We really have not even really marketed this yet as I think we could easily get a dozen or more. 

Let me look at a calendar this weekend and throw some dates out there. 

9 hours ago, D_L said:

Tom I am following. Will be moving to Cape Coral at the end of December.

That’s great you’re moving. Good luck with it all.