plugchucker

Cape May County sods. Still a thing?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I used to fish them a lot since my in laws have a house down there. My trips have become few and fewer over the years for various reasons. I feeling nostalgic and was wondering if it’s still a thing, or if all the beach replenishment and development, bio mass getting smaller has done it in.  Bridge hopping and walking the sods, hearing bass and weakfish surface feeding was always a good time.

Not sure how long ago you were fishing there...I'd guess the fishing has probably dropped off a bit since then, but there are still a decent amount of resident bass around the sod banks and bridges.  Tons of shad this year too.  Last year I saw a lot of smaller weakfish (up to 16" or so), but I didn't get into any this year.  Still some around (I think FunkyBunker posted one recently), but not in big numbers.

4 hours ago, PSUFly said:

Not sure how long ago you were fishing there...I'd guess the fishing has probably dropped off a bit since then, but there are still a decent amount of resident bass around the sod banks and bridges.  Tons of shad this year too.  Last year I saw a lot of smaller weakfish (up to 16" or so), but I didn't get into any this year.  Still some around (I think FunkyBunker posted one recently), but not in big numbers.

I used to do them three or four nights a week. I was just down with the family for a week the first week of Oct. My first time in almost three years. Some of my spots had access closed and one had had a well worn trail grown over. Nobody had obviously been there in awhile.I bushwhacked my way in and at the turn of the tide started picking fish. It brought back a lot of good memories. 

I’m down there a good amount. I don’t fish the sod or the bridges and I don’t know what it was like long ago, but I see guys out all the time. A certain bridge was packed with toggers today when I passed.

1 min ago, Sevendust111 said:

I’m down there a good amount. I don’t fish the sod or the bridges and I don’t know what it was like long ago, but I see guys out all the time. A certain bridge was packed with toggers today when I passed.

I’m betting it’s the bridge I think it is. Looked like a Chinese fire drill? You have weather moving in and the tide turning around 4am to go out tonight with not much moon and clouds. If you’re down there I would be heading out. I’m in Sea Isle when I’m down there.

3 mins ago, plugchucker said:

I’m betting it’s the bridge I think it is. Looked like a Chinese fire drill? You have weather moving in and the tide turning around 4am to go out tonight with not much moon and clouds. If you’re down there I would be heading out. I’m in Sea Isle when I’m down there.

If your in sea isle then you definitely know where I am talking about,) gonna try to get out in the morning. I have young kids so I can’t really get out at night. 

1 min ago, Sevendust111 said:

If your in sea isle then you definitely know where I am talking about,) gonna try to get out in the morning. I have young kids so I can’t really get out at night. 

90th street. My son is now 17, when he was younger we were down all the time. Now he’s looking at colleges and has club and high school soccer tournaments all the time, so I’ve been down less and less. Catching my last time down got me hooked again.

On 10/24/2020 at 9:03 PM, plugchucker said:

I used to do them three or four nights a week. I was just down with the family for a week the first week of Oct. My first time in almost three years. Some of my spots had access closed and one had had a well worn trail grown over. Nobody had obviously been there in awhile.I bushwhacked my way in and at the turn of the tide started picking fish. It brought back a lot of good memories. 

Yeah, I find myself doing more bridges than sods lately...my summertime fishing a lot of times consists of hitting bridges - if I see signs of life but can't reach the fish, I'll put the kayak in if there's access and the current's not running too hard.  If you're willing to put the time in on the sod banks, you can probably figure out the patterns and be pretty successful.  Sounds like you know plenty of spots to fish...If I lived closer, I'd be there multiple times a week.  It's only a few times a month for me at most, although we did do a week vacation there last month.

Sod banks have been taking a major beating from all the bigger boats flying along and busted them up. Cracks me up same guys that wave at you to slow down your 16 footer near their house blitz by small boaters and people standing on banks. 

donot fishlike I used to but u could do well from banks well into December. My buddy used to shoot ducks while I fished. We also trolled bombers and would do well in channels. Not sure if still good. Find buck tail Willie and ask him.

I find that the last couple years you need the ability to cover a lot of ground.  I chalk it up to a combination of less fish around and the ones that are here are sort of holed up in an ambush spot like a creek outflow.  I'll get one fish a spot then need to move on to find more.  Long story short, yes you can catch but it's not like it used to be 

41 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Long story short, yes you can catch but it's not like it used to be 

Not much involving striped bass is how it used to be ... 

4 hours ago, Potato Caboose said:

Sod banks have been taking a major beating from all the bigger boats flying along and busted them up. 

It's bad in some spots. Storms have done a lot of damage also. 

29 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

I find that the last couple years you need the ability to cover a lot of ground.  I chalk it up to a combination of less fish around and the ones that are here are sort of holed up in an ambush spot like a creek outflow.  I'll get one fish a spot then need to move on to find more.  Long story short, yes you can catch but it's not like it used to be 

Definitely have to move around. Unless it's bluefish you won't sit there and pick off fish back to back. I do know a few people around here that do get some good numbers, but being retired and being able to fish over 6 hours a day does help out a bit. 

1 hour ago, FunkyBunker said:

It's bad in some spots. Storms have done a lot of damage also. 

Definitely have to move around. Unless it's bluefish you won't sit there and pick off fish back to back. I do know a few people around here that do get some good numbers, but being retired and being able to fish over 6 hours a day does help out a bit. 

Yes used to catch nice stripers at mouth creeks and their stomachs were full of quarter size baby blue claws. Sold boat when spent all time at kids activities so not spend the time back in there