Running Ape

Mass trailer question?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

A question for the group, as I’ve heard a few different answers. I am buying a stick trailer for a small, lightweight boat (200lbs, 15’). If I buy a trailer off some guy, can I drive it home without lights or plates? There will be no boat on it then.

I would sort the paperwork out in a few days. 

I think it’s a situation where the official answer is that it’s not legal, but that the chances of anyone giving you a hard time are very slim - especially given the covid backlog at RMV.  Can you borrow a trailer plate and go during daylight hours?  How long of a trip will you be making to bring it home? Any highways involved?

Not without a license plate.  You need to research the ownership transfer laws.  They can be ofund on the registry website.

22 mins ago, jhndoe said:

Short trip i would just do it.  7am on a Sunday. No one around

Not worth it as almost any violation in MA is a surchargable offense. 

What towns are we passing through?

I live in a seaside town and there are boat trailers running all weekend at this time of year. I don't think the local cops even look... My trailer lights have never been operating... I "share" my plate with a small 4x8 dump trailer too. If I were to get stopped for no plate, I would just say it must have fallen off... But mine is registered and up to date, which you don't have the luxury of falling back on. Me, I would just do it and then register it.

1 hour ago, whaler1889 said:

Not worth it as almost any violation in MA is a surchargable offense. 

Cops are pretty reasonable plus they are getting ready to change shifts.  On a Sunday ......

11 mins ago, jhndoe said:

Cops are pretty reasonable plus they are getting ready to change shifts.  On a Sunday ......

True but if you get that one who is not the insurance companies have zero flexibility. 

Get a bill of sale from the seller so that if you get pulled over you can prove you just bought it. Any decent cop will let you go. The only other option to get it home is a flat bed tow truck. 
Also, good luck dealing with the RMV. Trailers can be a nightmare to register. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Stick it in a pickup truck. If you don't have one, ask the seller if they have one.

Or actually put the entire trailer on top of another normal boat trailer.

Edited by rsilvers

I just registered my trailer about 3 weeks ago, no sign of plates yet. Agent said trailer plates are backed up. My agent does have some "temporary plates" at their office, but I have yet to pick them up, as I don't trailer much outside of my neighborhood. 

you are allowed 7 days after purchase to drive it with a dated bill of sale. you would have to put another plate on though. if you get pulled over you explain and hand them the bill of sale. I may or may have not drove around a few months after buying my boat trailer by just writing new bill of sales every week........:laugh: