buz23

MV Report

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just returned from my yearly late season expedition on MV.  I fish up island, from Menemsha all the around to Stonewall Point. 

Got there on the last Thursday of the Derby, and right away drove down to the jetties to see what was going on.  I saw some albies breaking pretty far out, and a half dozen or so guys on the jetty casting or waiting.  The beach on the Lobsterville side was a picket fence.  Apparently someone had caught bones there the previous day or so and the word was out. THere were a couple of boats anchored off the jetties, no doubt causing some annoyance among the jetty denizens.

I only gave a half-hearted try at albies from the beaches adjacent to the jetties, and never saw any breaking fish.  After the derby there was very little activity on the jetties (people and probably fish, too).

I was targeting stripers.  The first few days I caught a half dozen or more a day almost all in the morning, but by the end of this week high tide was in the middle of the day and results suffered.  I haven't had much luck fishing at night this time of year and didn't fish much past 7:30 any night.  I caught one fish over 28", the first in 3 years this time of year.  I originally figured it was my first legal fish in 3 years, but legal has jumped in size this year.  I also caught one small bluefish and one bold squid which attacked a bomber.  In the dark I almost grabbed the squid thinking it was weeds, but had second thoughts and used a flashlight.   Most of the bass I caught were 14-24", but when they were biting they were eager.  I mostly used surface lures, either a jumpin' minnow (but lost both I had in 15 minutes due to knot/leader problems) or a homemade yellow pencil.  Its amazing how they chase a surface lure, and hit it 3 or 4 times, sometimes knocking it up in the air.  I tried a small waxwing and caught a couple, but by then the activity had slacked off so I can't really comment on its effectiveness.  I liked the way it cast and the action on the retrieve, however.

One day I could hear the gulls screaming as I was getting out of the car 100 yards away from the beach.  No terns this time of year, and the gulls were mostly the smaller, dark kind.  That day the action was right in front of me when I emerged on the beach , but constantly moving into the incoming tide.  The whole circus (birds, bait, fish, cormorants) moved to my left faster than I could walk.  I kept up with them for a while on and off, ending nearly a mile from where I started.   I caught about 15 that morning, some of them right at my feet.

One day I saw several pods of adult bunker finning and flipping just a few yards off the beach, with absolutely nothing bothering them.  I've only seen pods of adults from the beach one or two times in 25 years.  The first time I saw it (15 years ago or so) they were far out,, and a very long cast with a large deadly dick got me my first 40" bass. 

The island was mobbed for this time of year.  Kind of like a Covid Indian Summer.  However, once the derby was over, there were few fishermen, and I had a mile of beach to myself most mornings.  People (quite a few dog walkers) were pretty good with their masks.

The catbirds and towhees are long gone, but I did see several ospreys and one eagle.  Also several loons (I like the way the go along with their head underwater looking, looking)  Cormorants just dive and then look.  The yard where I stay is loaded with turkeys, as many as 15-20 at a time.  There were two "bosses" which were displaying mostly to each other, although there were lots of girls around paying them no attention.  The apple tree next door was a big draw for them.  The carolina wrens were still very vocal, and I noted a surprising number of red-breasted nuthatches at the feeder.

Overall, this year was a lot like the last two or three, although the weather was better.  Small fish, but fairly plentiful.  I only wish the tides were better, coinciding more with early morning or evening.

I had to abandon my trip a day early due to a death in the family (expected) but honestly the fishing wasn't very good the last two days I was there.  I didn't even get a splash the last morning before I cleaned the cottage, packed up and went to get in the standby line for a ferry.

The weather was gorgeous, very little wind and warm temperatures most of this week. 

That's it until next June.  Kind of discouraging what has happened to the larger fish in the past 10 years.  My peak was 2010 and the larger fish have gotten rare since then. 

Edited by buz23

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cool. Thanks for the report. October is a great time to be on MV, even when the fishing is marginal. I’m hoping that the large numbers of schoolies are a good indication of larger fish in the future, but who knows. 

Like you, I’ve seen large schools of unmolested bunker, which definitely is not a good sign. 

Edited by fishinbill

4 hours ago, Tin Boat said:

More adult bunker around the Vineyard than I've ever seen, and nothing eating them except occasional seals. Good report.

From Osterville to all along the Elizabeth’s. Many many pods. Most I have ever seen and what buddies who have been fishing those waters longer than I said too and like  you stated not a darn thing bothering them once in the many times I saw them. Not a one seen today from Woodshole to Cuttyhunk. Gone. 

I forgot to mention, I saw a grey seal off the Menemsha Beach this year.  I've seen harbor seals there in the past but not grey seals.

On 10/24/2020 at 5:36 PM, Steel Pulse said:

From Osterville to all along the Elizabeth’s. Many many pods. Most I have ever seen and what buddies who have been fishing those waters longer than I said too and like  you stated not a darn thing bothering them once in the many times I saw them. Not a one seen today from Woodshole to Cuttyhunk. Gone. 

Those huge schools of adult bunker are back in Vineyard Sound as of yesterday,  and there is still nothing harassing them.

8 mins ago, Tin Boat said:

Those huge schools of adult bunker are back in Vineyard Sound as of yesterday,  and there is still nothing harassing them.

Thank you 

On 10/24/2020 at 1:19 PM, Tin Boat said:

More adult bunker around the Vineyard than I've ever seen, and nothing eating them except occasional seals. Good report.

Same old story......thx for the input, Tin Boat:)