DeepBlue85

Fishing etiquette, how do you define it?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Managing information sharing, how we should conduct our selves in a line up or sensitive access areas and how we communicate regarding issues that matter, what's your opinion regarding issues your concerned with and how should they be handled?  In the end we're all one community and should manage our selves with the dignity required for the sake of future access and conservation issues.  

Edited by DeepBlue85

I manage the etiquette issue as a beginner by fishing away from other people that think they are entitled to expect others to behave in a "certain way."  

12 mins ago, koalaslim said:

I manage the etiquette issue as a beginner by fishing away from other people that think they are entitled to expect others to behave in a "certain way."  

You being a beginner, learning anything on your own is a lost way of doing things..... I respect that. 

Regarding your veiled assertion that this thread has anything to do with instructing people to behave a "certain way" highlights the fact that your inexperienced on the water.  Safety and courtesy play a big role in the places guys fish and when those safety and courtesy norms (etiquette) are violated, people are put at risk an the overall experience for everyone suffers.

Edited by DeepBlue85

Different places and conditions have different rules........

On the open beach in NJ, if your longest cast can reach my longest cast, you're too damned close !

In Montauk it's OK to join the nearly shoulder to shoulder lineup - but you damn well better use the same style lure as everyone else, keep to your casting turn, and retrieve at the same rate.

Anywhere, if someone is plugging or jigging with the current, don;t go throwing bait right into where the sweep is taking the lure.

Golden rule, if anything you do changes the way someone else is fishing - you're the arsehole.

And turn off the damned light already !!

Edited by Sudsy

1 hour ago, koalaslim said:

Your doing it right. Always stay away from people. 

1 hour ago, DeepBlue85 said:

You being a beginner, learning anything on your own is a lost way of doing things..... I respect that. 

Regarding your veiled assertion that this thread has anything to do with instructing people to behave a "certain way" highlights the fact that your inexperienced on the water.  Safety and courtesy play a big role in the places guys fish and when those safety and courtesy norms (etiquette) are violated, people are put at risk an the overall experience for everyone suffers.

26 mins ago, hydraman said:

Your doing it right. Always stay away from people. 

Thanks!  I try and be respectful of people and their customs when I travel, regardless of activity.   I am sure there are some very valid concerns that people have in certain areas.  I mostly like to keep moving when I fish anyways.  Walk a bit, cast a few dozen times, move on.  Hydraman if that was sarcasm, don't worry I won't be coming to your spot.  Haha. 

13 hours ago, koalaslim said:

Thanks!  I try and be respectful of people and their customs when I travel, regardless of activity.   I am sure there are some very valid concerns that people have in certain areas.  I mostly like to keep moving when I fish anyways.  Walk a bit, cast a few dozen times, move on.  Hydraman if that was sarcasm, don't worry I won't be coming to your spot.  Haha. 

Not at all stay away from people. That’s why I go fishing to get away from everyone. That’s why I prefer night time. 

16 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Golden rule, if anything you do changes the way someone else is fishing - you're the arsehole.

Pretty well says it all.

Applies equally to a spot burn that floods a spot with report-chasers, and to the bum in the 60-footer who swings in front of you and forces you to change course while trolling a canyon wall.

The elephant in the room really is spot burning, beyond that though maybe having a non judgmental thread where people can remind the exponentially larger surf fishing community of today, actual facts about proper etiquette regarding spot burning an proper behavior on the water.   Littering is a huge issue, walking past easily removable trash isnt much better than the act that put it there.  Personaly I see a big void regarding information on how to keep this ever growing ....sport..... an enjoyable one for everyone, the way it always was.  Alot of new guys around and from what I can tell, willing to learn the right way of doing things.

Edited by DeepBlue85

9 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

The elephant in the room really is spot burning, beyond that though maybe having a non judgmental thread where people can remind the exponentially larger surf fishing community of today, actual facts about proper etiquette regarding spot burning an proper behavior on the water.   Littering is a huge issue, walking past easily removable trash isnt much better than the act that put it there.  Personaly I see a big void regarding information on how to keep this ever growing ....sport..... an enjoyable one for everyone, the way it always was.  Alot of new guys around and from what I can tell, willing to learn the right way of doing things.

Can’t agree with this more! Well said and this should be heeded by all who visit our waterways for recreation especially us anglers.

More talk/education/awareness on how to properly catch and release....Including limiting the time of the  “I just caught this” photo shoot that is all too common nowadays 30 seconds should be our goal here not 5 mins. If your fishing alone maybe skip the picture altogether, we all know how difficult it is to safely and properly land, photograph, and release a fish, without causing unnecessary harm to the fish, ourselves, or our gear. There are exceptions of course like taking a tripod with us that’s ready to shoot at all times or are of the go pro strapped to us crowd.  But most of us aren’t doing all that. 
This may seem out of place but nothing infuriates many anglers more than seeing our resources irresponsibility mishandled. Therefor causing us to lose respect for the people we’re sharing the beach with. 
.....Now if we could only find a reliable feasible way to stop the poaching of fish....

Edited by Domjolly

There is none left, especially this year with all the covid fisherman. Unless I know you on an open beach, stay at least 20ft away. Day or night..

You catch a fish and these new asshats are 5ft next to you.

And so many spots and bites were ruined this year with the rookie facebook fisherman.

Same as you approach a surfing lineup. 
Don’t drop in on others blow up the spot and leave no trace.

try not having ediquette surfing “locals only” spots.... those LB/HB jerkoffs will heckle you or slash tires.

Edited by GarbageFish

45 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

Same as you approach a surfing lineup. 
Don’t drop in on others blow up the spot and leave no trace.

try not having ediquette surfing “locals only” spots.... those LB/HB jerkoffs will heckle you or slash tires.

Lol i dont miss that whole scene